Www.studyingjapaneseswords.com

Finally, hardcover version of "Study of Japanese Swords" is out with Barnes and Noble.

I still don't receive the hardcover version from my publishing company,  Alpha, but the final version of the hardcover is sold at Barnes and Noble.  

On Barnes & Noble site, they shows the old version of the front cover but the book is a correct version.

Because of the confusion with the publishing company, I bought one hardcover for myself to make sure.

They sent me the correct one.  The Alpha publishing company used Barnes and Noble print shop.

Although, the quality of printing and paper is slightly better with Amazon's softcover, the difference is minimal

Thank you very much those who waited long time for the hardcover.

Below is the Barnes & Noble website, once you go to their site, write in the name of the book in search box.

They can mail to many different countries.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Thank you

Yurie 

Hi Toryu 2020,

Alpha should be selling updated/corrected hardcover now with their website.  But something is strange.

Are you asking me the question because you ordered one?  If so, I am very sorry the problem.

You may want to cancel the order with Alpha, instead order through Barnes and Noble. 

The Alpha is impossible to talk to.  I am still not sure what is going on.

I ordered one through the Alpha 11 days ago to make sure, but I still don't receive it yet.

I also ordered one from Barnes and Noble, I received it(correct one) in 8 days.

I don't understand their system.

My publishing company, Alpha used Barnes and Noble's print shop.  In my case, Barnes and Noble is not my publishing company.

Printing is done and selling through Barnes and Noble site and sent me one in time, then the Alpha should have them. 

Their system is very confusing.

I had to buy many books because of a contract between the publisher and I.

The Alpha kept delaying sending me those.  

Sorry, I can not give you a clear answer.

Yurie 

Yurie san -

I ordered early and received an early copy seems like more than a year ago - last I heard they (Alpha) was going to send out corrected copies once they were printed. Has anybody seen those?

-t

Hi Toryu 2020,

As far as I know, I don't think anybody saw those.

I am sorry you got the rejected one.  I know one person received a good copy directly from Barnes and Noble.

The Alpha is telling me the paper shortage, Corona, and war.   That may be a good reason, but I feel bad

many people have problems with Alpha.

You live in San Francisco.  I plan to go to the San Francisco Sword Show this August.

If you come to the show, and you still don't get the corrected book by that time, I will exchange with mine at the show.

I hope I will have the book by that time.

Thank you

Yurie  

• Love 1

Yurie-san,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your publisher. It seems that Alpha Publisher are quite unprofessional. I ordered a copy of the e-book some months ago, but I found the quality to be less than desirable - the words seem to be applied as images rather than text, so they blur when you attempt to zoom in. Moreover, for this reason it is not possible to highlight text or search for keywords in the e-book, which is one of the main benefits of an e-book for me.  

Nevertheless, I think the content is excellent. I really like how you explain the development of nihonto through historical events. This is an approach I take in my own work - when I write about philosophical problems, I always explain them within their historical context. I think it is essential to understand historical events, in order to comprehend changes in ideas and technology. I also think your approach makes it much easier and more enjoyable to learn about nihonto. Rather than simply memorising changes in forging techniques in different periods, you help us to understand why those changes came about, and enable us to associate changes with specific historic events (such as the Mongol invasion). Overall, I think this is a wonderful book and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who wishes to seriously learn about nihonto. Well done, and thank you for your effort!  

Yours authentically,
Kyle

• Like 1

Kyle, pretty sure you should be able to run that through some OCR software and convert it into a text resource.
That would be a deal breaker as the ability to search eBooks is the main advantage.

6 hours ago, Brian said:

Kyle, pretty sure you should be able to run that through some OCR software and convert it into a text resource.
That would be a deal breaker as the ability to search eBooks is the main advantage.

Kindle books have some solid DRM to prevent copyright infringement, so you can't do much without removing the copy protection.

There's a free piece of software available from Amazon called Kindle Create which allows authors to quickly and easily convert documents into properly formatted e-books and publish them on Amazon. It takes under an hour to go from a word document to a published e-book.

If Yurie's contract with Alpha allows for this, it would be best to re-publish the e-book this way.

I could do the work in Kindle Create for her (obviously at no charge) and send her the files, but she'd need to publish it from her account.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Everyone,

On August 5,6,7th, San Francisco Token-Kai will be held at San Francisco Airport Marriot Hotel. 

Next is their link. https://lnkd.in/gpeJsTCB
I will bring my Hardcover books "Study of Japanese Sword".  I will be there in the afternoon of the 5th, all day 6th, and the morning of the 7th. 

See you there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 6:24 PM, yurie said:

Here is the photo of the Northern California Japanese Sword Club Token Kai in San Francisco on 8/5,6,7.

2022 sword meeting 1.jpg

It was very nice meeting you and your husband at the show! I'm really enjoying the book and am about half way through it.  Looking forward to seeing you again next year!

-Jake

• 8 months later...

After many misprints on the hardcover book, the corrected version is finally done.

To buy my book, "Study of Japanese Swords", go to the link below.
The Alpha publishing company will ship hard and soft covers to all countries.  To ship to other than the U.S., click "all countries", under buy a hardcover today.
The link should look like the one below.

image.thumb.png.15ce4a6ac28d3502f1faf2ff22cf8216.png

• Like 6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..