Www.studyingjapaneseswords.com

On 12/8/2018 at 10:49 PM, yurie said:

Thank you very much for suggesting me that.  A year ago, at the very beginning, I had the intention to do that.  After about one year, I started to lose the confidence.  My blog contents are just scratching the surface, and not enough detail hamon picture.  I am afraid somebody may claim I am using somebody's photos or copying somebody's writing. I don't do that, but there are always some people say things like that.  Already one person e-mailed me saying he had the impression  I studied under Dr. Honnma and Dr. Sato.  I did not write that anywhere.  But for some reason, this particular person perceived that impression.  The number of people who read my website is increased a lot, which is wonderful, but at the same time, I am afraid somebody may say something which I don't have any intention of.  Part of it is I know my knowledge level is low.  It is hard to get the help because all of my old sword friends are in Japan ( I am in L.A.) and they know I don't know that much.  It would be wonderful if I can create a book.  But every day, I am getting more fear.  Your suggestion really made me feel great.  Thank you.  

Yurie

Yurie, thank you. This is an amazing resource you are kindly sharing.

Please do not let others get you 'down' or depressed. Their narratives do not matter. You are doing an awesome job!

Yurie, I would like to thank you as well. I know that there are many other silent followers such as myself that find your information very helpful in learning such as myself which I frequently find myself referencing your helpful info. I also think how great it must have been with such a great father growing up with such a great man with such knowledge and history and seeing such masterworks and experiencing that with him. I definitely would cherish those memories forever.    
                    Sincerely,  George

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, my book came out on Amazon this morning.

Amazon only sell softcover book (this is what I was told?) and Ebook.

Hardcover books are sold by publishing company I used, "Alpha Book Publisher"

and other few book stores. 

But Hardcover books are not ready yet, maybe in 10days or so.

The Publisher said books are sold on European Amazon also.   

Anybody in Europe, please let me know if you see it on European Amazon.

Or, European Amazon and U.S. Amazon is the same, I am not sure.

Japan Amazon is separate.

Thank you very much for all your encouragement and support.

Yurie 

• Like 2

The Alpha Book Publisher sent me their link to buy hardcover book.

https://www.alphapublisher.com/yurie-halchak-author-book-page

Now, hardcover books are available on Alpha Book Publisher.

For some reason, if you see "Sorry, we couldn't find that page" click
Bookstore tub right above on the page.

Thank you, Brano.

TO: Ken-Hawaii

Yes, the font size was the problem.  Small letter is hard for me to read, also.  Since there are blank space on some pages, I tried the larger font hoping the number of pages won't increase.

But if I do that, some photos and illustrations move to the next page, and some color items go over two pages instead of two color items on one page. 

More number of pages and color pages increase the cost and weigh more to mail.  The hardcover is priced $50.  This is almost the cost to make a book including the publisher's fee. 

I did not want to increase the price of the book.

Considering all the good and bad, present font seems serves the best, though the font is too small.

I will be taking my softcover books to the Sword Show this weekend in San Francisco (near International airport),

Hardcover books may or may not arrive on time before I leave my house.

It would be nice anybody can come who lives vicinity of the area.

Yurie

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for  showing the interest for my book.

This is the new information I received from the publisher.  They were supposed sent to me the hardcover books by 8/5.

Now the publisher is telling me that they can not tell me when they can create the hardcover books because of the

paper shortage here in the U.S.

Thank you

Yurie 

Yurie san

It was a pleasure meeting you at the San Francisco Taikai - I mentioned I had ordered the hardback and you mentioned the paper shortage. Well I'm not sure where the paper shortage is because I got my book yesterday! It looks to be a fine addition to my library...

-t

You got it ?!!

I don't understand.   But that is wonderful.

I ordered 100.  Maybe large number is taking time.

It seems you took about one week to get book?  That is not bad.

Now the publishing company is telling me it will be September.

Thank you very much for letting me know that.

I will check on the publishing company.

Yurie 

The Alpha publishing company kept changing the site to buy my book.

Amazon sells E-book and soft cover book.

For hardcover book, go to 

then click the tab " bookstore ".  My book is on the bookstore page, soft and hardcover both.

It may say "new releases".

I am still working on International shipping for hardcover.

Thank you

Yurie

• Like 1

The International shipping for hardcover.
The link below is for shipping my hardcover book "Study of Japanese Sword" internationally. https://www.alphapublisher.com/yurie-halchak-author-book-page
If you have a problem, click the green "contact us" tab at the bottom of the first page of this link.

Thank you
Yurie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Toryo2020.

I finally received hardcover books today.  They are bad.   The design of the front cover & back cover is off.  The thin red border(4mm) only shows on one side

and they used lesser quality paper for contents of the book.  I paid extra for the better paper so that the paper is thick enough to show the

photos better. 

Please let me know how is your hardcover book looks like.

I feel really bad if you received the one like I got today. 

The softcover looks very good.  I am sure you saw the softcover at San Francisco.  Is your hard cover book looks as good as the one I was selling?

Thank you

Yurie

• Sad 1

Hi everyone,

Please hold to buy the hardcover copy of "Study of Japanese Sword" for a while.

The publisher did not print the hardcover book to my specification.  

They are in the process of printing the better one.

Soft cover books are perfect.  

If anybody received the inferior quality book please notify the publisher and get the better one.

https://www.alphapublisher.com/yurie-halchak-author-book-page

I am sorry for your inconvenience. 

Yurie 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am still waiting for the hardcover books.  The publisher kept telling me they will have the book

shortly.  I don't know how long is "shortly". 

Please hold to buy the hardcover book until the better version is ready. 

Anybody bought a hardcover book, the publisher promised that they will send the new better book.

Thank you

Yurie

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, yurie said:
Happy new year!

Thank you very much for waiting for my hardcover book "Study of Japanese Sword".  I have been waiting for the Alpha Book Publisher to create one since last July. So far I received three samples books but all three books used paper other than I specified, and the cover design does not fit right.  I am still working on it.   Softcover is available on Amazon U.S.A., Amazon Japan, Amazon Europe.

Thank you
Yurie 

• 1 month later...

Hi Yurie,

So, I didn't know the book was a culmination of effort over this many years and input from this board! Just got the softcover this week. It is a fantastic resource for those of us new to nihonto and are stuck learning as much kantei as possible without a teacher or local Token Kai. 

Thank you for the hard work. I am familiar with the mountain of work it takes to put a book together, nevermind one as complex and multi-faceted as yours. 

• Like 2

Regarding the text size on the e-book...

If you use a word document (as opposed to a pdf or jpegs) and convert that to an e-book format, the e-reader will be able to adjust the font size locally and reflow the text to fit the page, instead of showing whole pages as they would appear in the physical book.

I don't recall the details off-hand, but Amazon have free software available to facilitate this. It's easily done and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to figure out.

• 2 months later...

Notice to my readers:

I saw Barnes and Noble sell the hardcover version of "Study of Japanese Swords" on their website.

But my hardcover version is not done yet.  

The one on the Barnes and Nobel is the one I rejected last year. I did not know they are selling until somebody mentioned.

As you can see on their site, the front cover is off-centered.

Contents are the same but paper is not what I specified. 

Other than off-centered front cover and the paper is slightly thinner, nothing is wrong.

But I rejected this version.  The book have to be better than that with the price the publishing company's minimum price. 

I am trying very hard to work with the publishing company but they are taking for ever.

Thank you

Yurie 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 8:12 PM, yurie said:

Notice to my readers:

I saw Barnes and Noble sell the hardcover version of "Study of Japanese Swords" on their website.

But my hardcover version is not done yet.  

The one on the Barnes and Nobel is the one I rejected last year. I did not know they are selling until somebody mentioned.

As you can see on their site, the front cover is off-centered.

Contents are the same but paper is not what I specified. 

Other than off-centered front cover and the paper is slightly thinner, nothing is wrong.

But I rejected this version.  The book have to be better than that with the price the publishing company's minimum price. 

I am trying very hard to work with the publishing company but they are taking for ever.

Thank you

Yurie 

May I suggest you look into doing a Video and Audio book on your website which can be monetized on a subscription. Printing especially in a low volume marketing plan is way too costly. I've seen this done many- many times and it works very well. This is the future for exactly what you're trying yo accomplish.  

Thanks for all your hard work  

Yurie San.  I bought the hardcover from Barnes and Noble and was the one that told you about it - to your surprise.  I assume that you will still get royalty for this?  Hey, maybe when you come out with the final hardcover, they will stop this rejected version.  I'm glad that the content is otherwise the same and have started to read and enjoy the book.  Congratulations on a great project.  Hey, maybe mine will be a "rare early error first edition" and a true collector's item!!   (jodan desu...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..