Tosho Tsuba. Motif? Age?

andreYes

Hi,

Please, help me with this tosho style tsuba. Diameter is 7.6 cm, thickness - 3 mm.

1. Is it possible to tell something about its age basing on the photos? Does the shape of kozuka hitsu ana could be a sign in this case?

2. I'm not sure about motif: it could be a kukurizaru, but it seems to me that it is moon and star on the bottom, and 3 star mon on top.

post-633-0-60637500-1544216475_thumb.jpgpost-633-0-81964900-1544216482_thumb.jpg

post-633-0-74207200-1544216489_thumb.jpgpost-633-0-43927400-1544216496_thumb.jpg

Yes, the elongated hitsu ana could be an indicator of a pre-Edo time period. Also, 3 mm is fairly thin and could also be an indicator of an earlier piece.

Sometimes the nature of the iron can help with aging so maybe someone with more experience will chime in on that. It is hard for me to tell on that aspect.

Thank you for good ideas!

Mauro, great reference piece! No information about its age?

Piers, thank you for the picture, never seen a kasane style of a three star kamon! Interesting site/databese - I should study it deeply :)

So, the description could be "suhama ni mizutama" or "kasane mitsu-boshi ni tsukiboshi". I doubt whether we'll know, what was the tsubako's thoughts :)

The question is its age...  As Patrick said, some signs indicates, that it could be a Ko-Tosho thing, but the main point is the quality of iron and patina, I suppose. Maybe someone with a good experience with an old iron could give his opinion, please? If it really possible to make any conclusions just by photo...

Hello:

To my eye it appears to be a mid Muromachi ko-tosho unless the mimi is reduced. The design, while similar to the suhama mon is more likely a cluster of stars and all the devices together being an unusual representation of the san-ko (three sources of light) design. The kodzuka-hitsu is confirmatory to a pre-Edo piece.

Arnold F.

• Like 1

The overall appearance, the elongiated hitsu-ana and irregularities in the sukashi (later ones are more exactly made) make me believe it must be Ko-Tosho, probably late Muromachi.

Size and thickness of about 3 mm could be found on similar specimen, too.

The lower elements could also be interpreted as a tumbler or kukurizaru frequently found on this kind of Tsuba. Early kukurizaru show a small circle connected with a kidney-shaped form, later ones just two circles of different sizes.

Found this at the V&A Museum:

post-919-0-99707700-1544858370_thumb.jpg

But moon and star work in Yours as well - as You like it.

Very nice piece!

Florian

Interesting - that sure looks like a kozuka ana - I wonder why they chose to display what appears to be the back side of that particular tsuba...

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

Thank you, Florian! 

Now I remember this tsuba from V&A Museum, I saw it several years ago :)

I found the photo, I've made:   attachicon.gif IMG_7271.JPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..