Condition Issues?

Mantis dude

HI all,

I was browsing and came across this tsuba.  Am I correctly seeing this as being cleaned and/or the patina has been removed?  If so, would it be worth it to fix (by a professional not me :clap: ?).  Thanks for opinions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Edo-Period-Mantis-Sukashi-TSUBA-Sword-Katana-Daito-Wakizashi-Koshirae/323558119024?hash=item4b55911670:g:cD8AAOSwdzhcBcIr:rk:32:pf:0

Grey & Steve,

I appreciate both your inputs. To be truthful, I had no plans to bid on the ebay auction. I too thought price was high. As Grey stated it was hard to tell if it was the pics or the condition, hence my post. Also after posting, I realized that eBaY has a contact option so I am waiting for a reply.

I also have little experience with repatination, so I was curious what others would say. I remember the dilemma when I was collecting swords, when is restoration worth it? And while some who work in the area might say always (haha), it's always good to have input-from knowledgeable people that is (had to add last part in light of the new social media world). Thanks again

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching this seller for a while now and I have a feeling many of his/her Tsuba are possibly reproduction. Also, if you notice his feedback, you can see that some high price sales usually get a reply of "out of stock" or "already sold", so who knows if he/she actually has the items to begin with, and the prices are way too high on most of the items anyways.

But really, they could be a decent seller and I could be totally wrong but I try to avoid certain sellers with "red flags" such as this.

Did you ever get a response ?

Nope never got a response which to me is a response. I think the seller like many other Japanese sellers list the same item on multiple auction sites. So it wouldn't surprise me that items are already sold. Of course gaigen listing prices are almost always higher.

As I used to say: "hey let's be careful out there" it applies to collecting as well as on Hill Street Blues.

Happy holidays to all.

• Like 1

Hard to tell if cleaned or just the seller's photos.  Price seems high and postage is worse.

Grey

Hi Ken the Matis Dude,

I would need to agree with Grey and others.  The photos look very strange and it really hard to tell anything from them directly.  I would stay away even if considering a restoration project.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..