Solid Gold Coiled Dragon Menuki/cufflinks

Yoshimichi

Dear NMB Members:

I have a really fine set of cufflinks in solid gold. They appear to be tanto menuki that were expertly made into a set of gold cufflinks with a gold bamboo motif bar and gold chains. I have attached some photos. Is it possible that these are Goto menuki?  

The other question is this: Does the NBTHK or NTHK shinsa fittings that have been converted to jewelry, as in this case? I also have a daisho set of fuchi, but the kashira are missing. Would they shinsa the daisho fuchi only? They are both signed "Ishiguro Masayoshi." Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)          

post-1356-0-19346600-1543389142_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-99099200-1543389157_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-95628700-1543389202_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice menuki Bill.  From what I can see, if you should so desire, converting them back to their original state should be completely successful. Meanwhile, enjoy them as is.  Brian, if you look carefully at right hand link in the third image you can clearly see that they are menuki.

-S-

Dear NMB Members:

1. The other question is this: Does the NBTHK or NTHK shinsa fittings that have been converted to jewelry, as in this case?

2. I also have a daisho set of fuchi, but the kashira are missing. Would they shinsa the daisho fuchi only? 

1. doubtful

2. I have seen fuchi matched with a horn kashira pass before. I would ask the person submitting for you first.

https://www.seiyudo.com/me-050517.htm#movepoint1

Similar design by different school for comparison of construction.

PS:  I downloaded the pictures and upon magnification of the one of the ura (far right) it looks to me like the posts were reduced and the link was opened and fine soldered onto the old post/base.  I had wondered if the post was modified but I now believe it was simply easier to do the cut/solder modification.

As to attribution I would say Kyo Kinko with the possibility of a Goto ha call.  They are very nice but the plate seems a bit thin to be considered by mainline or waki Goto.  The facial carving is actually pretty nice considering the teeth and eyes.

I agree with Franco that the NBTHK probably would reject them as they have been altered from their original use and therefore are no longer 'tosogu'.

I also agree that the fuchi may be admissible as noted.

• Like 1

Dear Gentlemen:

Thanks so much for the wealth of information, especially the link to similar menuki. I am always amazed at the wealth of knowledge the NMB members possess. I really appreciate it. I will take the excellent advice regarding using horn kashira to possibly allow the daisho fuchi to be shinsaed. Thanks again.

Regards,

Bill E.Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..