New Member Introductions

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, 

I joined a few days ago and wanted to say thanks for all the help and education so far. I just ordered a few of the books listed on here and would love more suggestions. 

I am in Ga and if any of you will be at Blade in Atl next month, I will be hanging out with a buddy at Table 4R. Would love to meet you guys and thanks again for the newbie advice. 

Thanks,

- Wes

• Like 1

Wes...tell us a bit about your knives? Quite a few knife guys here.

Brian, 

I should clarify, I am personal friends with Stephan Fowler, J.S. (FowlerBlades). His table is 4R and I help him during the show. I got interested in collecting blades through my (amateur hobby) company I own, RzrRestoration. I like restoring old straight razors and I sell Stephans lower end bushcrafting/hunter knives on my website. I am by no means a professional and am doing my best to use him as a mentor of sorts. I must clarify for personal pride here to the forum....I do not intend or by any means "want to" or "desire to" restore any Japanese items through my company. I am hoping to start my collecting through guidance and studying. The shaving razors have always been a personal quest to find and restore, that is it. 

Thanks for all your guys help so far. If any of you are in GA or would like to PM any other book suggestions, I am getting started on knocking my way through this websites recommended list. 

- Wes

Francis, there are several interesting papers about how tosho (smiths) modified the structure of iron to produce tamahagane. And if you post good photos of your blades in the appropriate area, you'll get lots of feedback. Do a quick search to determine what makes a good photo.

Welcome!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting all,

I have been collecting for about 8 years now and thought it it was time to finally join the board. During this time i have been lucky enough to meet a few other collectors in Australia who have been very forth coming with their knowledge, experience and friendship. I have been able to attend group meetings in both Melbourne and Sydney in which I had a wonderful time viewing and expanding my knowledge.

I'm very happy with my current collection and always looking to expand as the addiction continues.

Regards

John C

• Like 2

Addiction is right, John! Welcome from your fellow addicts. Please continue attending as many sword meetings as possible, as you'll get much more data from seeing blades than from books or anything else. But do start building up your book collection, too.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, my name is Erick and I am from the Boston Massachusetts area. I have already learned a lot these first few days trying to read everything this forum has to offer. Members have already reached out to offer their services. I just want to give a big thank you to everyone.

There is a ton to learn, but luckily I found some informed people. I have 2 nihonto on the way... a Mino wakizashi and a Bizen tanto. Hopefully they will be here in a month or so. I am eyeing a katana now but still haven't pulled the trigger. I will be sure to post pics because We all love eye candy.

I have been an avid gun collector and competitive handgun shooter for 30 years. Please feel free to hit me up with any firearm or shooting short questions... I can answer those pretty easily, it's the nihonto stuff I need to learn. I've been cutting and collecting katana (high end Chinese made cutters). I just recently discovered that true nihonto can be found and obtained fairly easily. I am addicted now! I have been trying to absorb all things nihonto. Hopefully I will learn fast because the passion is there.

Thanks again everyone and please be patient with me. I promise to read and absorb everything I can so I don't sound to much like a newb ????????

• Like 1

Well...if you consider 25 years in the industry well versed :glee:
But yeah, Stephen and a lotta guys know far more than the basics ;-)
Welcome, sounds like you are starting out great...better than 95% of us. Looking forward ot hearing more about your purchases.