Shirasaya Sayagaki Translation Needed

Ed Hicks

Piers just beat me to it. I'll add in what I think are the remaining bits.

越中国宇多国友

Etchū-no-kuni Uda Kunitomo

長さ一尺四寸四分有之

Nagasa 1 shaku, 4 sun, 4 bu 

大正貮年月三日研上げ記之

Taishō 2, November 3rd, migakiage 

The Taishō date rules out Tadataka, but I couldn't find any kao for Tenrai, so Dirk's post above seals the deal and removes any doubt. 

The month I have no confidence in. I can only say that the left side of the kanji resembles a ki hen (or possibly te-hen) and the closest plausible month would be 霜月 (Shimotsuki: or November). But the kanji on the sayagaki doesn't resemble 霜 at all, and so 霜月 is almost a wild guess. Or, maybe the kanji on the sayagaki is a poetic variation of one of the twelve month names that I do not know about. 

The okurigana for the last bit 研上げ (migakiage - polished) may be off, but the meaning wouldn't change.

• Like 3

The month I have no confidence in. I can only say that the left side of the kanji resembles a ki hen (or possibly te-hen) and the closest plausible month would be 霜月 (Shimotsuki: or November). But the kanji on the sayagaki doesn't resemble 霜 at all, and so 霜月 is almost a wild guess. Or, maybe the kanji on the sayagaki is a poetic variation of one of the twelve month names that I do not know about. 

Hi Steve,

this puzzled me as well, especially seeing I could easily find other Hon'ami origami with the same kanji (albeit a bit less stylized)

post-355-0-36722700-1543238377.jpgpost-355-0-97482400-1543238385.jpg

After some searching, I came up with the idea that it might not be describing an exact month (going from your poetic variation remark) and it might be this:

極月

giwametsuki

not a real word, but could be something like "appraisal month" ?

• Like 2

The very last part is:

研并記之

kore o togi narabi ni shirushite

"polished and recorded this (on the third day of the twelfth month of Taisho two)"

And 極月 (gokugetsu, kiwamarizuki) is another term for the twelfth month.

• Like 7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..