Gendaito Shapes

vajo

I wanted to see how different the shapes of my gendaito are. So i put them together in a picture. It is very interesting for me to see the difference between the wartime swords.

I never notice that when i have them in hand.

post-3496-0-07186200-1542301498_thumb.jpg

From left to right:

1. (Kinoshita) Yoshitada 吉忠
2. (Kosaka) Masayoshi 正義
3. (Yuki) Munemitsu  宗光
4. (Fukuoka) Morimitsu 盛 光
5. (Yamagami) Akihisa  昭久
6. (Taguchi) Masatsugu 正次
7. (Tamijo) Hisakuni  久國
  • Like 5

I notice that the star stamped Kanetoshi (Seki?) sword at the bottom is in Rinji Seishiki Gunto (Contingency Standard Army Sword ) Type mounts with a steel scabbard.

I am interested as I have a star stamped blade in the same steel scabbard mounts and made by Seki Kanehide (a very good maker).

I know steel scabbards on this type of mount is usually a sign of containing a showato blade, but I wonder if this steel scabbard mount is a Seki thing for RJT blades also?

Just wondering...

I notice that the star stamped Kanetoshi (Seki?) sword at the bottom is in Rinji Seishiki Gunto (Contingency Standard Army Sword ) Type mounts with a steel scabbard.

I am interested as I have a star stamped blade in the same steel scabbard mounts and made by Seki Kanehide (a very good maker).

I know steel scabbards on this type of mount is usually a sign of containing a showato blade, but I wonder if this steel scabbard mount is a Seki thing for RJT blades also?

Just wondering...

George I had a Star stamped Kanetoshi(Noshu ju Kanetoshi) with the miniature Seki stamp which I presume is the same Kanetoshi. It could very well be a Seki thing indeed as I’ve seen Gendaito from Seki smiths in this type of mounts before... However what differs from the usual low quality Type 3 mounts with steel scabbards and poorly done Ito-Maki in most cases unlaquered is that the low quality mounts containing a Gendaito blade always had the double button relese. I have never encountered a Showato in the higher end Type 3 mounts or in the low quality WITH double button release.

Regards

Daniel

Neil the tsuka of the type 3 with iron scabbard looks well made and fitted. Not like that of showa-to. I like that koshirae. It looks very cool, with that bamboo colored saya. I think that is a very tough Koshirae and feels undestroyable.

George I had a Star stamped Kanetoshi(Noshu ju Kanetoshi) with the miniature Seki stamp which I presume is the same Kanetoshi. It could very well be a Seki thing indeed as I’ve seen Gendaito from Seki smiths in this type of mounts before... However what differs from the usual low quality Type 3 mounts with steel scabbards and poorly done Ito-Maki in most cases unlaquered is that the low quality mounts containing a Gendaito blade always had the double button relese. I have never encountered a Showato in the higher end Type 3 mounts or in the low quality WITH double button release.

Regards

Daniel

Thanks Daniel.

Yes, my Kanehide also has the double button...must be a "step higher" type fitting, not as basic as the non-double button showato fittings but quicker, easier, stronger than the lacquered tsuka and scabbard type.

Thanks,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..