Kii Ishido Mutsu No Kami Tameyasu

mfarrar

Hi all,

It's been quite some time since my last purchase but couldn't resist this one. It's a suriage Kanbun Shinto Katana signed Mutsu no Kami and attributed by the NBTHK to Kii Ishido Smith Tameyasu. I believe this to be 2nd generation Tameyasu as I don't think the Shodai signed Mutsu no Kami? I am not sure what the papers say other than Tameyasu.

As always difficult to take good pics, but here are some so far.

Mark

post-325-0-24304300-1541921686_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Mark,

Yes, looks like second generation:

TAMEYASU (為康), 1st gen., Kan´ei (寛永, 1624-1644), Ōmi/Kii – “Kishū-jū Tosa Shōgen Tachibana Tameyasu” (紀州住土佐将監橘為康), “Tosa Shōgen Tameyasu” (土佐将監橘為康), real name Tomita Shōgen (富田将監), he came originally from Ishidō (石塔) in Ōmi province, he was the father of Bitchū no Kami Yasuhiro (備中守康広), later he moved to Kii and is considered as one of the ancestors of the Kishū-Ishidō school, flamboyant chōji-midare in the style of the Ichimonji school, wazamono, chūjō-saku

TAMEYASU (為康), 2nd gen., Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Kii/Settsu – “Mutsu no Kami Tachibana Tameyasu” (陸奥守橘為康), “Mutsu no Kami Tameyasu” (陸奥守為康), real name Tomita Rokurō´emon (富田六郎右衛門), oldest son of the 1st gen. Tameyasu, older brother of Bitchū no Kami Yasuhiro (備中守康広), he moved later to Ōsaka and worked in the style of his father, flamboyant ōbusa-chōji, gunome, but the bōshi is mostly sugu, wazamono, chūjō-saku

From eSwordsmiths of Japan.

Best,
John

P.S. - cracking blade.
  • Like 1

Hi Mark,

Yes, looks like second generation:

TAMEYASU (為康), 1st gen., Kan´ei (寛永, 1624-1644), Ōmi/Kii – “Kishū-jū Tosa Shōgen Tachibana Tameyasu” (紀州住土佐将監橘為康), “Tosa Shōgen Tameyasu” (土佐将監橘為康), real name Tomita Shōgen (富田将監), he came originally from Ishidō (石塔) in Ōmi province, he was the father of Bitchū no Kami Yasuhiro (備中守康広), later he moved to Kii and is considered as one of the ancestors of the Kishū-Ishidō school, flamboyant chōji-midare in the style of the Ichimonji school, wazamono, chūjō-saku

TAMEYASU (為康), 2nd gen., Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Kii/Settsu – “Mutsu no Kami Tachibana Tameyasu” (陸奥守橘為康), “Mutsu no Kami Tameyasu” (陸奥守為康), real name Tomita Rokurō´emon (富田六郎右衛門), oldest son of the 1st gen. Tameyasu, older brother of Bitchū no Kami Yasuhiro (備中守康広), he moved later to Ōsaka and worked in the style of his father, flamboyant ōbusa-chōji, gunome, but the bōshi is mostly sugu, wazamono, chūjō-saku

From eSwordsmiths of Japan.

Best,

John

P.S. - cracking blade.

Thanks John, very pleased with it. Excellent service from the seller Daimyou54eb

I am not sure what the papers say other than Tameyasu.

The papers say

陸奥守 (以下切)(為康)

長 二尺一寸九分半

Mutsu-no-kami (everything below cut off) (Tameyasu)

Nagasa of 2 shaku, 1 sun, 9.5 bun

Everything else is boilerplate (except for the registration date of March 15th, 2018

I LOVE Ishido school swords and in particular the Tameyasu works. This one is 2nd generation by the signature, but displays much of the style of the shodai. It may be an early career work as 2nd gen Tameyasu moved towards a different type of choji work as he progressed.

I saw this one a bit ago, congrats on the purchase. Ishido is an under rated school IMO.

• Like 1

I LOVE Ishido school swords and in particular the Tameyasu works. This one is 2nd generation by the signature, but displays much of the style of the shodai. It may be an early career work as 2nd gen Tameyasu moved towards a different type of choji work as he progressed.

I saw this one a bit ago, congrats on the purchase. Ishido is an under rated school IMO.

Yes the hamon is quite different in style to other examples I have found online.

I saw your thread from last year about Ishido swords, did you find yourself one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..