Shinshinto Hisakazu Mei

Ron STL

Just trying to understand information about this shinshinto katana tonight. The mei reads: Tenryushi Tatsubana Hisakazu saku. I would like to verify that I've translated "Tatsubana" correctly. The only place I found that name was in Nihonto Meikan. Next, also in the Meikan, I'm trying to read what I think is perhaps his birth date and death date, possibly Bunkyu 1st ???, died Meiji 3 (1870). However, the sword id dated Bunkyu August 1863. He certainly didn't make the sword after he died, so where am I going astray here? 

The katana itself is relatively well make, very little sori and almost straight, in aged shirasaya with sayagaki. Puzzling thing is that the nakago has been damaged by...well, you can see on the photo. Still a nice sword but this of course lowers its value. Enjoying doing some homework on the sword but it will not be kept. Always like to understand as much as possible about anything that comes my way. last time I saw this was in early 1990s. These swords do make the circle from time to time.

Ron STL

post-1311-0-16695900-1541637654_thumb.png

post-1311-0-49653900-1541637687_thumb.png

post-1311-0-59310700-1541637703_thumb.png

post-1311-0-85929100-1541637720_thumb.png

Thanks guys. John, where did this translation come from, Markus by chance? That sure saves a lot of digging and speculation, for sure. As always, greatly appreciate the help. It still puzzles me why (how) the nakago was deteriorated like it is. Reminds me of the very large Jirotaro Naokatsu that Fred Weissberg has...amazing work but no buyers stepping up because of a little rust damage. Shinshinto are expected to be perfectly mint, but often the fine work of the smith gets missed in cases like that, and this blade. Once I gather the data on Hisakazu I'm sure a new owner will be found, eventually. Again, appreciate the feedback. 

Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..