Nihonto Collection

Hey guys, me and my team have created this new site for nihonto. www.nihontocollection.com please feel free to check us out and our nihonto in stock!!! Open to criticism 100% and please criticize us as much or as little as you can so we can make the appropriate adjustments. Until then, please check out these pics of our nio kiyohisa. 

The homepage should be the swords for sale. The items for sale need to be formatted so the pictures, prices and description fall into a ordered and evenly spaced layout. The pictures 1000000% need to have a zoom view, nobody is buying a sword for over five thousand dollars with tiny pictures. 

• Like 4

The kanji on the gun reads as follows, 大和守 yamatonokami, 飾之 kazayuki, tensho year 1. That means this is an original tokugawa display piece from 1573. This, most likely would have been a gift from the tokugawa to yamatonokami(lord of yamato) but we do not have provenance, so we are pricing on the quality and the kanji written alone.

I think that may be an an incorrect assumption. When you see Yamato no kami Kazayuki, you would expect the smith (with an assumed title) to be named Kazayuki, and nothing to do with a gift or presentation. Haven't checked out the translation though. Perhaps Piers will be able to tell us if there was a teppo smith called Kazayuki?

Or does it read something else?

I would also expect an embellished gun like that to be much later than 1573.

• Like 2

I believe that the Teppo is signed:

飾之 (kazari kore)

I would love for someone like Steve and Markus to chime in, but I think that 飾 (Kazari) may refer to decoration/applied design elements on the Teppo. I am not familiar with 飾 having the reading of Kazu within a name.

This will give further information on how titles were given.

https://markussesko.com/2013/02/19/how-honorary-titles-were-conferred/

• Like 2

thanks for all the feedback, i should note that one the tachi resting blade down are protected via a piece of rubber. Pictures are not good enough at the moment i know but we are saving for a new lense haha. Seriously thanks everyone. The only reason we have asserted that it was a gift was that it is an original display piece, meaning it was not made to be fired and was made as a display piece. In this instance Yamato no kami, we believe is the daimyou next to or very close to kyoto. When no kami is referring to a samurai in a position of power it means or protector of. Thats what we were able to assert anyway. I had around 5 different friend who are Japanese look at it to translate so i think it should be pretty accurate. 

What makes you think it was not made to be fired?

Would be a good one to post both in the translation section and the tanegashima section, I think you will get better info here than you will get from Japanese locals.

The barrel cannot come out, and there is not hole for the powder to ignite. 

Can you take a picture of the top, with the pan cover open, and a close up of the pan?
I have serious doubts this was not made as a working gun. I can find no records of non-firing models ever having been made. This one has every indicator of being a real gun. Maybe blocked later due to the laws?
Good one to investigate further.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..