Fujiwara Yoshihiro Wakizashi

Hello, my name is Richard and this is my first post here, though I’ve been a long-time lurker.

I would be very grateful for any opinions members could offer regarding this wakizashi:

https://www.touken-matsumoto.jp/eng/product_details_e.php?prod_no=WA-0271

I am puzzled by the attribution to Fujiwara Yoshihiro. Elsewhere I have found several blades by “Hizen no Kuni-ju Ise no Daijo Fujiwara Yoshihiro”, for example:

https://www.aoijapan.net/katana-hizen-kuni-ju-ise-daijo-fujiwara-yoshihiro/

The mei on the blade I am looking at, however, seems to show the kanji for Fujiwara Yoshihiro, but lacks the honorarium prefix I find on all his other catalogued work.

Is this a blade from early in his career, before he acquired the honorarium?

Or are these different smiths within the same school? That was my first guess, but in the item description (and in seller’s response to my question) this blade is being held out as the work of the Tadayoshi disciple who held the title of Ise Daijo.

There is a parenthetical in the mei section of the NBTHK paperwork that I cannot figure out—does the pi-symbol-looking kanji refer to first/second generation? Does the certificate clear up my issue?

Also, the hamon strikes me as startlingly large. I think it looks fantastic, but I’ve also read that large hamons are often found on re-hardened blades—any cause for concern here?

If all else passes muster, what are your thoughts on this wakizashi? Is it a good example of the Hizen school?

By way of introduction, I’m a beginner looking for a blade with interesting hada and a dramatic hamon. With a mei and papers and old, so you have that feeling like you’re at the museum, but you get to handle the artifacts... Ideally a blade/smith with a rich historical context—not famous, necessarily (my budget is about $2,500), but something that can be traced to a specific timeframe, school and smith would be ideal.

I am not interested in koshirae at this point, and would rather concentrate my investment on the blade itself.

I’ve been watching the auctions and vendors that see traffic from NMB members—seems safer than e-Bay, anyway.

Thanks again for any assistance, and I really appreciate any guidance you can give me as to whether this is a suitable beginner’s sword.

Hi Richard.  That looks to me like a fine starter sword.  It is ubu, no machiokuri (I guess), in full polish, has nice hamon and hada, and has decent mounts.  It also has NBTHK papers, which is a big plus.  You will enjoy owning and studying it I think.  The things that you might eventually get tired of as you advance is the open grain in the shinogi ji and the habaki, which appears to be brass or some other metal, but not gold or gold foiled.  If you have resources, when you buy your next sword, this would be one that you could keep and continue to enjoy for many years.  I am guessing that the hamon has a lot of activity in it that doesn't come across in the photos.  It does have a Hizen feel to it, and wouldn't be surprised if you surmise correctly that it is the Hizen man you found.  With the exchange rate, the price is decent (about $2250), and when the time comes to sell it, you should be ok.  Let us know if you buy it and welcome to the board!

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

As Robert said, this looks like a good starter sword, & worthy of considerable study. As you're new to the board, however, I'd like to first refer you to http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/articles/Collecting.pdf, which was written by one of our illustrious members, Guido Schiller. It nicely & concisely points out that it's a very wise thing for any collector to have an idea of WHY he or she is buying a particular blade. Maybe a Kanbun period Shinto blade is exactly what you're looking for, but did you choose it because you are interested in that period or that smith? Or was your decision based on looks & price?

Just a nudge to help you get the most for your hard-earned dollars!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..