Shachi - Dragon Fish

b.hennick

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I have collected several images of Shiachi 'dragon-fish' guards - there would appear to be two types of this design.

1. with pearl above the mouth. 2. pearl in the mouth.  From what I have seen those with the pearl above the mouth are likely cast copies or modern fakes. There may be exceptions. Shiachi should not be confused with Shiachihoko, Shiachihoko have the head of a tiger not a dragon or dragon-fish.

shiachi dragon fish extra no information.jpg

shiachi dragon fish.jpg

• Like 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shachihoko

Piers I don't know how the design could be confused with an Orca, the killer whale is a mammal and does not have scales. Not that these facts got in the way of early European explorers. I'll go with your second definition of a mythical creature. :)

This 'Sea Pig'  or 'Sea Swine' lived in the North Sea on Olaus Magnus’s 1539 'Carta Marina'. There are some striking similarities to the Shachi [or is it Shiachi?]  

I know of only one vertebrate that has more than two eyes [the Tuatara of N.Z.]  I can't imagine what the three eyes on the animals flanks [both sides?] would be used for, or are they something 'different'?.

image.png

Watch out this version can come out of the water! image.thumb.png.fc67ce45862dacbb1d3a7872edc3bbcd.png

• Like 2

Dale, it's Shachi (sounds like Shatchi or Schatchi).

Old (Victorian) spellings may follow other Romanization systems of しゃち, such as Syati (perfectly readable to Japanese people today as Shachi).

I puzzled over the diverse meanings and readings of 鯱 for many years, but at some point I just accepted the split. It is somewhat similar to the real and mythical readings of 獅 which in their Chinese carry the meaning of both a lion and a shishi 獅子, and 麒麟 kirin which means a giraffe but also the mythical creature you see on Kirin beer cans. If that helps at all.... :dunno:

That is great information, Piers. It must get confusing when a symbol can mean many things- a bit like English in some respects where you need the context of the sentence, for words like '"seal"
Noun. One of many types of fur-coated sea mammal. From Old English seol.
Verb. To close something so that it cannot easily be opened. Related to the next meaning:
Noun. A design pressed or stamped into a piece of wax to close or authenticate a document. From 13th century Old French seel.'

[Getting very close to being :offtopic:I know]

• Thanks 1

Glen the first image from the D.Z. Norton collection. :)

The Shachi cast copies have been around for awhile - found one mentioned from 1893 and another from [Tomkinson collection] 1908

l'art pour tour 1893.jpg

tomkinson page.jpg

get your own copy here! https://www.ebay.com/itm/203827909498  A little too pricey for my money.

I should point out the Tomkinson image appears earlier in his collection in 1898 and resurfaced in the later article. [1908]

Edited by Spartancrest
new dates