Iron Mokume New Addition

Vermithrax16

Regular board members know my affinity for mokume tsuba works. After not being able to acquire several wanted pieces (not mokume) over the last 4 months (various reasons) I was looking forward to the arrival of this example. I really like this one and a big tip of the hat to NMB member Stephen for making me aware of it.

New tsuba is an iron mokume work by the late Edo maker Masanao, of the Bushu Ito School. I have worked on the mei and I believe it's authentic, but this is a lesser known smith so I only have 4 examples between Sesko's meikan and the Wakayama references. Reference examples lack the "Ito" kanji above the maker's mei, but it's the school so makes some sense. In any case, I will let the pictures speak for the tsuba.

Mokku gata shaped tsuba. The patterns on the obverse side are amazing, and really jump out in hand. The edges follow the grains well, and the patina is in ok condition. I really like this one, glad to have it.

Dimensions: 8cm X 8cm X 0.4cm

post-4009-0-81038300-1541114779_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-08378900-1541114792_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-40341100-1541114806_thumb.jpg

post-4009-0-51970000-1541114815_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Jeremiah,

yes, I have carefully worked on it with a pointed piece of antler and could remove very tiny amounts of rust near the MEI, but as always, corrosion is chemically transformed metal, so it is not just a layer of something that could be lifted off easily. 

The photo and the light are not good and do not show the chocolate colour patina. 

• Like 2

Fred,

I cannot completely read the MEI. I think it may be GOSHU (SHU is incertain) no JU NAO (?) HIDE. It will need an expert to read that.

It is not a MOKUME TSUBA in my eyes - at least it does not seem to be made to show the structure of the metal. It is more a KO-SUKASHI TSUBA. Perhaps it would show deeper MOKUME with more or stronger etching, but I would not recommend to do that. 

A small but terrific classic tsuba by Myochi Munemasa. Mei reads: (omote) Utsushi (copy) Hachiman Taro Hato-maru  (name of a famous tsuba on an Imperial collection tachi); (ura) Ki Munemasa (name of maker). 

l've seen other examples of this "dove" tsuba but most are of lower quality plate. Also, I've never found a photo of the "Imperial collection tachi" that is supposed to have this tsuba on it. 

At the first or second Minneapolis show several of us put on a display of mokume plate tsuba which proved to quite interesting. Always wanted to put that display together as an article for the JSS newsletter, but...

Ron STL

post-1311-0-15769900-1542067543_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-61435800-1542067558_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Looking at my records, I found a little interesting provenance on this tsuba that was kept in its box. Box also has hakogaki by Dr. Torigoye. 

Box contains label reading “Walther G Kreiner Collection” along with a written notations,
“RH 223 Dove tsuba” and “sold to J. Mitchell in 1971 by A. Yates.” (Arthur Yates was a dealer in the early days of collecting fittings.) Robert Haynes said he once owned this tsuba and sold it to Yates in 1971.

Ron STL

• Like 2

At the first or second Minneapolis show several of us put on a display of mokume plate tsuba which proved to quite interesting. Always wanted to put that display together as an article for the JSS newsletter, but...

I'd love to see a mokume display redo. 

I photographed the dozen or so mokume tsuba displayed in Minneapolis, but have been unable to locate that file. Computer incripted a few years ago, lost a lot, but they may be on a disc. Will share them if I find them. Another beautiful, minty tsuba was papered to Jirotaro Naokatsu, but apparently the mei was mis-read by the shinsa team. Nothing looks Naokatsu about it, I realize now. A good opinion of it called it the work of a Myochin smith, whose name escapes me at the moment. What was so interesting seeing a group of these tsuba together, was to take note of the different fineness or boldness found and how different guys interpreted the forging patterns. Also included a "bunny" for you bunny lovers. 

I'll try and check out the possibility of a display like this at the next Chicago show if table space can be found. Ron STL

post-1311-0-08784900-1542154281_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-56801000-1542154345_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Regular board members know my affinity for mokume tsuba works. After not being able to acquire several wanted pieces (not mokume) over the last 4 months (various reasons) I was looking forward to the arrival of this example. I really like this one and a big tip of the hat to NMB member Stephen for making me aware of it.

New tsuba is an iron mokume work by the late Edo maker Masanao, of the Bushu Ito School. I have worked on the mei and I believe it's authentic, but this is a lesser known smith so I only have 4 examples between Sesko's meikan and the Wakayama references. Reference examples lack the "Ito" kanji above the maker's mei, but it's the school so makes some sense. In any case, I will let the pictures speak for the tsuba.

Mokku gata shaped tsuba. The patterns on the obverse side are amazing, and really jump out in hand. The edges follow the grains well, and the patina is in ok condition. I really like this one, glad to have it.

Dimensions: 8cm X 8cm X 0.4cm

attachicon.gif Masanao_front.jpg

attachicon.gif Masanao_back.jpg

attachicon.gif Masanao_side1.jpg

attachicon.gif Masanao_side2.jpg

That's a stunning tsuba! I love it :)

Jason C

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..