Showato Now Being Registered And Sold In Japan?!

I have recently seen 2 different Mantetsu gunto being sold on Japanese websites. Both were (forgive me if I'm using the wrong term) officially registered and had papers. I've seen Type 95s being sold as well.

Does anyone know if something new has changed regarding showato in Japan?

Here's a link to one. I can't remember where I saw the other.

http://www.Japanese-sword-katana.jp/katana/1710-1042.htm

If you hit ctrl+F on this page there's quite a few Mantetsu blades sold from this seller, a couple remounted for Iai.

=&age=gendaitou&certificate=&price=&s=]http://www.Japanese-sword-katana.jp/?tag=sold&cat[]=&age=gendaitou&certificate=&price=&s=

Thanks John! That put me at 73 Mantetsu blades on the list! (I found 3, and DRDave found 1 more, so if there are more than 4 let me know).

• 2 weeks later...

Another update from Nick Komiya:

Bruce Pennington:

“Thanks Nick! So my take, if I understand correctly, is it is happening and just depends upon the judging team and municipality.

11-17-2018, 04:03 AM #12

nick komiya:

Yes, happens all the time and the difference between municipalities is in the degree of prejudice towards Guntos among Nihontoh purists.

There are 5 judging criteria and the first 4 are hardcore nihonto features, but the 5th serves as a loophole clause, as it serves to leave a margin of error by saying "None of the above, but with exterior attributes equally worthy of preservation as a work of craftsmanship". Whether a Showato survives is a question of whether the judge applies this clause.”

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
Guest Simon R
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..