Polishing Question

Martin P

HI Board,

Please forgive my ignorance, but why does having a Nihonto professionally polished not lower the value? Most antique type items if you polish or pull off the patina it brings down the value. I have read that professionally polishing is not a cheap endeavor either at $100- $120 per inch.

Thank you for your knowledge

Martin

Glad that Dave added the nakago as one area that is never polished, Martin. But the area from machi to tip of boshi must be well-polished for both kantei & appreciation. Your cost estimate is correct - polishing is expensive, as it must be done by a togishi who has been classically trained in Japan.

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information. Now is the nakago, not polished because it will removed the maker mark or other info? It would probably make it loose in the fittings over time also.

ROKUJURO, I guess I don't look at active rust as a patina, but a cancer. You can stop the rust with very gentle techniques. I try and ask people that are in the know the best way to preserve an item. There are too many people that think they are preserving something, but have devalued it. That is why I love boards like this one. :)  :thumbsup:

Blazeglory, too funny!

Thanks

Martin

Here's an example of what you DON'T WANT your nakago to look like.

I would think that you could see the age of a sword (help determine anyways) by seeing how worn the file marks are, the stages of rust (rust on nakago looks different allot of times from typical red active rust but could also have that) which varies in colors from dark brown to black, pitting and decayed iron... but you'd have to polish ALLOT or in a specific manner to remove most Mei as they are chiseled in...

I'm sure the "pros" will have more information for you. That was my two cents..(there's more info but were talking about reasons not to polish nakago so please don't over think my response folks)

Here's a pic of a "cleaned" nakago (early/mid Edo possibly)...SHREEK!

post-4634-0-59320400-1541018784_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-21344000-1541018914_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..