Late War Sword

Tommac

Looks good! It's in typical Type 98 Shin-Gunto mounts, and early to mid war at that. Not the later type. 

From the photos, it appears to be a non-traditionally made blade, but better pics would help determine that. 

Once you remove the bamboo mekugi pin and can get the tuska (handle) off, chanes are there will be some writing engraved on the nakago (hilt). Possibly the smith's name and a date. Some good photos of that would be more helpful. 

Tom,

An interesting piece. Could you give us some better pics of the circled areas I've posted? Your title calls it late-war, is that because of the quality of the metal fittings? Also, that same' looks like clear plastic? I've seen white plastic same' (I forgot the word they use for that), but not clear. That seems too modern for a WWII gunto.

Let's see what better pics will tell us. From your current pics, it almost looks like there is a copper cylinder through the mekugi peg hole.

It's too early to comment on the 2 or 3 options here, without more pics, though.

post-3487-0-97208300-1540748351_thumb.jpg

Tom,

After seeing everything in better focus, I agree with Steve that this gunto probably had a full leather cover originally. I couldn't comprehend them missing ashi (suspension ring). They don't come off. But if this were covered in leather, the ashi for that style are different and probably did slip off once the leather cover went missing.

I wouldn't call this "late-war" at all. It could have been made at any point in the war. I don't know if I'm communicating clearly about the mekugi peg. It comes completely out of the handle. Sometimes they are fatter on one end (the end inside the handle) and must be pushed out that way. Sometimes, and yours seems to be one, the mekugi is short, and inserted at an angle. These can be fussy to get out, as you might have to poke a toothpic or something pointy in the open hole to guide the peg out as you push it from the other side. It's an important step to most of us collectors because the smith name, and sometimes a date, are stamped on the tang (nakago).

• Like 1

And after all that, it's not signed! Well, standard Type 98 WWII gunto. The officer obviously paid for the sharkskin upgraded tsuka, but it's odd that the seppa are seemingly plain (though, someone, post-war, may have stripped them). Closeups of the blade and hamon (temper line) would confirm whether oil quenched showato, but it probably is. Decent pattern, though.

• Like 1

The lack of serial numbers seems odd.

You might be referring to the painted on assembly numbers? Not uncommon. My theory is that contract swords bought directly from a sword shop wouldn’t have those numbers. The painted ones are likely from the Arsenal factories and larger companies that cranked out larger numbers at a time. Just speculation though.

• Like 1

Tom,   There may not be any stamp, but they can be easy to miss.  Some are much smaller than others and the dies were susceptible wear/breakage, leaving only a partial impression; and sometimes they were lightly struck.  So you have to look carefully, including the nakago mune.  

Regarding the lack of stamps etc. Here's one I bought earlier, definitely a "factory" made blade in homogeneous steel. Some "factories" were more like a small workshop, like the Sheffield "little mesters" who made cutlery and surgical tools til recently.

post-2218-0-15244100-1540893109_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..