Nice Little Tsuba But Is It Real?

Blazeaglory

I think that it is an authentic tanto tsuba, but the photograph needs better white balancing.  The photograph has shifted the colors in a way so that they look a bit unnatural, giving it an "overcleaned" look.  My guess is that it would probably look better in person.

• Like 2

Lol. Yah u might be right. I thought it was a pink color trying to better mimic a cherry or peach blossom but now that u say it, it does look like silver plate with copper underneath. Was kinda hoping it was the other way around..

Well we'll know if I win this in a few more hours. Ill update if I get it. If not. PEACE OUT!

D

What I am seeing when magnified are areas of loss of the silver plating from the copper base which appears pinkish in the picture(s).  It would of course be better to evaluate in hand.

attachicon.gif 00001aaa.jpgattachicon.gif 00001aa.jpg

Pete, yes, I see what you mean.  You are noting the silver amalgam in the recesses of the petals, if I get your drift.

Yes i think they used silver for the "white" look to imitate the plum blossom. Like Pete said, I'm hoping it looks better in hand but for 30$+shipping, I can't complain.

I like how the maker dented in the "falling" petals to make them appear lifelike.

I added a closer (non zoom) image and the back side

post-4634-0-85543200-1540573497_thumb.jpg

post-4634-0-68829800-1540573519_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..