Need Some Wakizashi Advice

Hi,

Shoshin? Are you sure Jean?
Gimei? Are you sure Jacques?

I'm really getting tired of this never-ending Tom & Jerry stuff ... :evil:

Sorry Guido,

I'm not sure because i had a question :lol:

Just a little comment If you want, I do not like too much pub, Aoi art is a dealer like others no more and no less; make him an exceptional one is not very equitably.

that is only my opinion of course.

Hi,

caution

about aoi art, i'm very very disapointed by my last purchase at this shop, many black pin holes on the blade, chips on kissaki not writen on the appraisal. i asked tsuruta by mail before shipping if this blade has got chips, nicks or open grain.........the answer :fantastic sword!!!

sword return with troubles, 2 months customs retention at narita airport, saya unglued, mekugi lost , sword sticked in the saya.

a very bad deal

i'm waiting the pay back of my money.............

i don't know if next time , i will buy at this shop :steamed:

Sorry Takakage to hear this. I bought 6 swords from him and never had any problem - even my last tanto unpapered got blessed by Tanobe sensei.

I am surprised as generally with his high resolution picture, you can even spot hagire

I hope you express him strongly your displeasure

Jacques wrote :

I do not like too much pub, Aoi art is a dealer like others no more and no less; make him an exceptional one is not very equitably.

Unfortunately, it is the only site which has an exhaustive information in English. Other sites don't do it or care to do it but for Ginza Choshuya. If I had to advertise one site, it is this one. But how many NMB members have subscribed to this magazine. Seikeido is not bad too.

Most NMB members speak English. How many speak or read Japanese?

Oshigatas are not all...Jacques, You are welcome so anyone (our NMB Japanese residents) to provide other sources with translation

Guest reinhard

Buying a NihonTo in the web on the basis of pics, oshigata and even certificates is quite...daring, politely spoken. It raises some questions discussed many times before. What is it you are actually looking for? Nowadays NihonTo is about art. Some guys from the martial art section and others from the investment departement will probably try to deny this, but outstanding quality and outstanding prices are related to (conservative) art criteria. And these, my friends, are still analogue and cannot be displayed digitally, nor properly described. Do you buy a painting of a Dutch master on the basis of some pixels on a site you can hardly decipher? Probably not. There are trustworthy dealers, but they will not inform you beyond convenience. For example: A couple of years ago a Japanese sword-dealer offered a Ko-Hoki sword online, accompanied with valid NBTHK-papers, oshigata and pics. It is custom to accept swords of this age to have even major defects and flaws. I saw this blade at the Token-Ichi and the Hamon was gone for the upper 10 inches or so. It was cosmetically repaired. Nothing wrong with that, but it was not mentioned on their site. The pics and the oshigata just looked fine.

reinhard

SEIKEIDO is a high-end dealer and Aoi-art is no match for them.

Of course, Reinhard, (not to speak of Ginza Choshuya), but unfortunately, all is in Japanese and prices for High end juyo are not mentionned, most of us have a limited (if any) of Japanese.

I already bought tsuba from Sekeido.

Where does come Aoi Art success : Tsuruta san having average stuff has been clever enough to have his website in English/Japanese/Chinese idioma. Because of his selling price, due to medium class goods he has reached middle to low class market.

Very good marketting, taking into account that 95% of Earth population must earn less than 1k$ per month.

There are a lot more better shop sthan Aoi Art on Dr Stein website but to discuss these blades, one has to volunteer to provide translation.

If I want a Juyo, I won't go to any of this websites, there are other channels to swords that will never reach the web ... :) :) :)

But Reinhard, I :clap: to your analysis and I fully agree with you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

(even if don't do it - mixed of laziness/carelessness)

Hi,

Buying a NihonTo in the web on the basis of pics, oshigata and even certificates is quite...daring, politely spoken

I fully agree

A little anecdote (hope it's not too offtopic),

Some times ago, i was about to buy a naginata made by Echizen no kami Fujiwara Kunitsugu (Horikawa)

This naginata has a very interesting sugata, it is in kissaki- mohora-zukuri that is an uncommon sugata for a naginata and it is hozon papered.

I saw this blade on Danny Massey's site and was attracted by it. Another person was faster than me and bought this blade. few months later, this person (whom i know) told me he sells the naginata, i asked him waiting until i see it, that happened few weeks later.

Strong was my disappointment when i had the blade in hand. Workmanship (not bad) doesn't show any artistic features, this blade seems to my eyes flat and tasteless.

The same day i can hold a shodai Masahiro which shows all the artistic savoir-faire you can see on a blade.

It was for me a great chance to refine my perception between that is art and that is simply practical.

Hi Bobby,

You could write to the Japanese sites and ask them to provide you with a translation to their items.

I did that when i bought from Japan Katana Shop

http://www.global8.co.jp/katana/shohin/shohin20.html

They have more stuff on their Japanese site.

http://sngi.fc2web.com/sinnyuka.html

Regards,

Daniel

Jean wrote: ...have a look on Dr Stein commercial sites, make your selection in each category and we will give an opinion/choice.

Ok Jean (and Brian and everyone else),

If it's ok with you I'd like to take you up on your generous offer. After scouring the sites and trying to take into account your advice and guidance I came up with this smattering of wakizashi's in a few different styles from a few periods that fall within my budget. The first group are my main focus because they are what I have saved for. But being struck by the bug I included a few that would be harder but not impossible to (reluctantly) tap credit for.

Almost all of these are papered and appear to have few ha kizu from what I see in the pictures.

FYI Tsuruta-san has vouched to me about the condition and integrity of the sword you recommended to me, promising me 199% refund if he is wrong. Seems a bit of hyperbole, but reflects the level of his certainty that this is the perfect first nihonto for a new collector. The problem is that it's a bit more than I really can afford in this wonderful economic situation we find ourselves in.

Anyway, here's my shortlist. It's my first true nihonto, and am looking for something to study, find out more about, and above all enjoy. But I also want to be sure I have something that is a stepping stone to the next level of sword from an investment point of view.

Your suggestions and thoughts will be taken to heart as I make my decision. Thank you again in advance for sharing your experience and extending me help in this makeshift be nice to a newbie section.

Best,

Bobby

Swords that are within budget

http://www.finesword.co.jp/sale/touken/ ... nemori.htm

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0810_2020syousai.htm

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0710_2001syousai.htm

I can barely make it…

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0810_2018syousai.htm

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0810_2035syousai.htm

Just beyond my reach but …

http://www.aoi-art.com/sword/wakizashi/07098.html

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0710_2015syousai.htm

remember I am not the buyer :

- You have to take into account that your blade must have the best polish (for reselling purpose)

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0810_2035syousai.htm

IMHO - Best choice for your purposel - Good polish and koshirae, spectacular hamon, deep nioiguchi - drawback : unsigned - attributed to ....

If you can wait and spare :

http://www.aoi-art.com/sword/wakizashi/07098.html

the other one seems to have an hiraji ware

Best would be of course to wait a little but I have seen worst for a first blade (taking into account the price)

320,000.00 JPY = 2,948.99 USD

Japan Yen United States Dollars

1 JPY = 0.00921559 USD 1 USD = 108.512 JPY

350,000.00 JPY = 3,226.67 USD

Japan Yen United States Dollars

1 JPY = 0.00921907 USD 1 USD = 108.471 JPY

funny Jean the two id was getting ready to give a thumbs up too are the same, anyway heres the conversion for the both, i know Tsurata-sama will work with you on the price. Myself i like the first one posted by Jean.

I agree with the choices so far, bearing in mind that you need to choose a sword that you like, and not that we pick for you. Art is a very personal thing, and you want to buy what attracts you. We don't want to advise you "go for this one" and you don't like it later.

However you are doing the recommended thing by asking before buying, so I guess opinions count.

Always spend a little more than you wanted to. You don't want to think back in a year and say "I wish I had spent the extra $250 or so"

I still like that Yasutsuna wakizashi a lot. But I like the Ichimonjo style, and it has a lot going for it. Tsuruta san has guaranteed the condition and integrity of the sword, but not sure if he is guaranteeing the signature? I would check on that if you decide on this blade.

The upside of the e-sword Kunihide is the koshirae, which adds a good $500 or so. I think it is a good deal and has a good polish with thick and wide nioi-guchi as Jean stated, and looks very healthy. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

As Stephen mentioned, Aoi might be prepared to deal on the price. Their Yen price I am sure takes into account that it is sold locally and doesn't include overseas shipping, paperwork etc. But you can try and work a deal with them. The e-sword one still needs shipping added?

Overall, one of these 2 sounds good to me. Maybe others have a different opinion?

Regards,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..