2Nd Nihonto! Muromachi Jidai Bungotakada

Mizuho_No_Densetsu

post-1622-0-52884400-1540111351_thumb.pngpost-1622-0-62075100-1540111389_thumb.pngHi NMB,

So, I don't have many local friends that are into nihonto, and I wanted to share the purchase of my third sword (the second added to my personal collection) I've been saving monthly, because I really would like to pick up a Hizen Oumi Daijo Tadahiro depending on what I can find... But during the course of budgeting and saving... I came across this curious fellow that stole my attention.  

I'm a big fan of Ono Yoshimitsu, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify owning one of his swords but the hamon on this particular blade kind of reminded me of something yoshimitsu/ichimonji-ish...  Anway, the blade is mumei, muromachi jidai from bungotakada and it recently passed shinsa for Hozon Touken (should get the paperwork in a couple months). 

Anyway, I just thought I'd share with everyone! I think I got a decent deal on it considering it made Hozon Touken, but I'm looking forward to getting my sword account back up to where it was so that I can eventually grab an oumi daijo when I'm ready!

Cheers!

-Mario

• Like 1

Mario

This is a major contrast from your stated ambition of an Omi Daijo Tadahiro. You obviously have a very broad range of appreciation. Congratulations on your sword and good luck with your continued hunt for the Omi Daijo.

Isn't it!?  :) One of biggest problems I've had over the last two years is finding nihonto that I actually want to purchase.  Having broad range of appreciation has surprisingly made choosing my targets a bit more challenging primarily because the stuff I sift through includes everything...lol Thanks, and I'm super happy with this purchase.

Nice one Mario, it does remind me of the ichimonji/yoshimitsu style hamon where the hamon is produced without use of clay. I wonder if it was made this way, opinions?

Greg

Mmmm I'm not sure, but based on what I was told it's supposedly hitatsurayaki... Which would have used clay, I think? 

My iphone really didn't do this justice so I'm going to try and get a few better pictures!

-Mario

• Like 1

Maybe enhanced? If not enhanced, that line on the hamon (nijuba maybe?) Looks awesome

Yeah it's possible either way I might think... I'm not totally familiar with any type of enhancing process that might cause that but I'd be very interested in learning about it.  I did some very brief research on different hataraki, and I see examples of a few different things here... I'm also no expert LOL!  

Thanks for taking a look Dwain!  You've helped me progress in my research on this!

-Mario

-

• Like 1

Enhancing with acid is waaay near the top of the "NEVER do to a Japanese sword" list.
Been covered many times. Do NOT do it.
And yes,I think this one was. Or ferric chloride..same result. Reason lots of people didn't comment. It is a terrible look. But a nice sword. Hopefully oneday someone takes it back a bit to a natural look.

• Like 2

Work on the principal that using acid is a bad thing.

I believe polishers do use various finishing compounds in the final phase of polishing to enhance the finish. Many of these compounds are of their own composition and not greatly discussed. However there are numerous examples of blades which have been badly damaged by untrained people using acid as a quick fix to "enhance" hamon and hada.

sorry Brian beat me to it mods please delete if appropriate

This is all good to know! When I find time for a quick flight, I think I'll contact some people and get some additional insight on that, maybe a quote on polish as well!  I had no idea Acid was even a thing... The hamon is  a little bit bright, lol but now I'm just a bit worried that the photos I uploaded may be misleading because of the contrast presets after the import from my camera... I don't mean to beat a dead horse, lol but if anyone wouldn't mind giving me a comment or two with a less "enhanced" photo import I'd appreciate it!  :)

This is all really great information!  Thanks everyone!  :) Acid or no Acid I'm still pretty stoked! hahaha

Will post pics in a bit, and would appreciate any opinions people are willing to share!  :) Thanks!

-Mario

The more I look at it the more im convinced its been acid use on this blade. A shame indeed as it is a nice blade but would look much better with out it. Kinda like a lot of beautiful actresses that get plastic surgery and over do it. I hope you are able to get it corrected by a Japanese trained polisherand we get to see it in its full glory.

Greg

So here is a direct data transfer jpeg from my camera... lol You'll notice that there is still a glow, but the contrast is pretty different.

post-1622-0-31149200-1540463295_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-45408900-1540463325_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-87030700-1540463347_thumb.jpg

post-1622-0-85615700-1540463369_thumb.jpg

I'm going back to talk to the seller this weekend regardless lol...If anyone knows whether the authenticity of hamon plays into shinsa please please please let me know (if you can) preferably before I engage in any belligerence at the shop Saturday morning 11AM JST... lol 

Mario,
There is no doubt about the authenticity of your hamon. The acid has just made it very prominent. But it is real and depicts what is there. A better polish would make it look more natural, but you didn't get conned. It is just that we all prefer a more subdued and correct polish. I think a shinsa may comment on it, but would probably still pass it. Hoping for someone to clarify that.
Still a nice sword and as long as you keep it oiled a bit, will continue to be so.

• Like 5

Mario,

Your blade has all the tell-tale signs of an authentic blade, even if (as already pointed out) acid was used to "enhance" the hamon.  While a pretty crappy thing to do to a blade, acid etching is not the worst thing that could happen to a blade.  At least, the nakago appears prima facie unaltered.  If you take care of the blade, this is certainly a piece that you can appreciate and enjoy for years to come.

I think it's a real hamon just been enhanced with acid. A good polisher should be able to bring it back

There's a certain eBay seller who has allot of swords for sale that look awesome but most of them have been enhanced. Probably because a good polish is expensive and just wants to make quick sales but who knows

EDIT: I posted before reading that others have said basically what I jyst said! Good luck! Still a great blade

Hey Everyone!

Well thank you all immensely for the feedback lol... I was quite panicked for a while reading about brushed and acid etched hamon, and blades that have fallen victim to fires etc... I'm most likely going to see if I can grab a quote this weekend and send it off ASAP so that I can use this as a reference to study... The hamon was literally the only reason I made this purchase so I'm relieved to know it's not a fugazi, and that some of the activities I was seeing, although enhanced, are legitimate. I feel the blade inexpensive, but inexpensive in this hobby is relative to somevery extreme price points, not to mention how much I'll spend on polishing now.  I think (and hope a lot) that it'll all be worth it in the long run.

I'm now curious to see what it'll look like after a polish so that's a bit exciting as well! I suppose I'll revisit and share this when I have updates!  Wish me luck!  :)

Thank you all!

-Mario 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..