A "quick" Katana History

BIG

Maybe the sword identified as a katana; there is a due that identifies as a woman who identifies as a dog in California..... :dunno:  At any rate, at least the guy tried to make a video to get more visibility about swords, and they might want to learn more from a good source, like the NMB.

• Like 3

Maybe the sword identified as a katana; there is a due that identifies as a woman who identifies as a dog in California..... :dunno: At any rate, at least the guy tried to make a video to get more visibility about swords, and they might want to learn more from a good source, like the NMB.

Nihonto identity crisis? Lol

Hey, relax, experts! Videos like this are the base that the next generation will build. I rather liked this video. And if you did NOT because it contains errors, I wonder if you have ever serious read John Yumoto's little book. It is full of flat out crap.But no one seems to bother wit that reality. Like I said, "RELAX, experts". Let a thousand blossoms bloom!.

Peter

• Like 6

Agreed.  I realised it wasn't meant for knowledgeable people and liked it for its simple approach that "Lay People" could relate to.  I had a particular friend in mind who has wanted a Japanese sword since he was but a callow youth, but who "knows nuthiiiing"...

Oh, after 50+ years "in swords" I still feel like I'm in kindergarten with the real experts in Japan, plus a smattering of really top-notch gaijin.  And shades of John Yumoto's little book "full of flat out crap" we had a Japanese visitor (a sword man no less) who on drawing the blade dropped the koshirae bits (literally) on the carpeted floor in his haste to look at the blade.  We mere gaijin were underwhelmed...

BaZZa.

• Like 2

I think you can easily think it as a double edged sword. On the other hand it is really good that there are enthusiastic people that might be collectors in the future which is a great thing. However the negative side is that similar videos often give a lot of false information. The common problem with Youtube etc. is that everyone will be able to create educational videos, and for a regular person it might be very difficult to know what is correct and what is not. I've thought about that lately as I might have watched some educational videos on various subjects that might have lots of questionable information, yet they are very well made and convincing.

• Like 3

Agreed.  I realised it wasn't meant for knowledgeable people and liked it for its simple approach that "Lay People" could relate to.  I had a particular friend in mind who has wanted a Japanese sword since he was but a callow youth, but who "knows nuthiiiing"...

Oh, after 50+ years "in swords" I still feel like I'm in kindergarten with the real experts in Japan, plus a smattering of really top-notch gaijin.  And shades of John Yumoto's little book "full of flat out crap" we had a Japanese visitor (a sword man no less) who on drawing the blade dropped the koshirae bits (literally) on the carpeted floor in his haste to look at the blade.  We mere gaijin were underwhelmed...

BaZZa.

There is always someone who knows more.  There is always a faster gun.  To echo your sentiments, it always pays to be humble in what you know and open to learn.  Because the more you know, the more you understand how little you really know.

• Like 9

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..