Updated Information For The Arfs And Arms Of The Samurai Show - Minneapolis Mn Oct 19,20,21 2018

Additional Information and Education Schedule for:      “The Arts And Arms of the Samurai” Minneapolis, MN   Japanese Sword Show, Oct. 19, 20, 21 2018

The Japanese Sword Club Midwest will be holding a lecture and display, aligned with the “The Arts and Arms of the Samurai" show, being held in Minneapolis.

JSC-MW Meeting aligned with The Arts and Arms of the Samurai Sword Show Details:  

The focus of our meeting will be the history of the tanto and a focus on its role from the Meiji - Showa era. We will also be providing a display of Gendai tanto that will be one of, if not the largest display of its kind in the West.

The Arts and Arms of the Samurai: Saturday, October 20th Morning Schedule: Meibutsu Room

10:00 am – 10:45 am Grey Doffin Will lecture on the proper care and handling of the Japanese Sword

11:00 am – 11:45 am Mr. Saulius Ploplys - Deadly Science: Notable Aspects of Japanese Sword Design (the physics behind the Japanese Sword)

JSC-MW Afternoon Schedule: Saturday, October 20th from 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm

2:00: Room Open - 2:15: Markus Sesko - The history of the Tanto, Classification, Types and Styles, including Q&A

3:00: Chris Bowen - A study and lecture on the Gendai anto (Meiji through Showa), including Q&A 

4:00 - 6:00: Display of Gendai Tanto -This conglomeration of tanto created from the Meiji through Showa eras will constitute one of, if not the largest displays of its kind ever in the West.  Don't miss this amazing opportunity to view blades created by the top craftsmen of their time.

Location:  Crowne Plaza Aire MSP Airport - Mall of America, 3 Appletree Square, Bloomington, MN 55425

Entry Cost:  As this is a fund-raising event for the JSC-MW, I will ask for a modest $20 donation to attend the lectures and see the display.  If you're unable to attend the lectures and would like to view the display only, I would request a $10 donation.

Showroom Schedule:

Friday, October 19th

Dealer Setup: 9:00 am - 12:00   pm

Show Hours: 12:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Saturday, October 20th

- Dealer Setup: 8:00 am - 9:00 am

- Show Hours: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm

Sunday, October 21st

- Dealer Setup: 8:00 am - 9:00 am

- Show Hours: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

JapaneseSHOWFLYER2018-4.docx

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The presentation was excellent. Markus spoke first, giving a high level discussion of the history of the tanto. He is a fanstastic speaker, and a true gentleman.

Chris Bowen then followed with specific details of the lineage and style of smiths creating tanto since the Meiji period. He went into great detail about how each school influenced the folllowing generations.

Finally, we spent as much time as we wanted to inspect over 40 tanto on display. As Chris said, this may have been the greatest single display of 20th century tanto that has ever been in a single room at any one time.

I will add a few basic photos that I took with my phone.

I know joe spent many hours after the presentation to take very detailed photos, and is planning a book based on them.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..