Website Update Preview

Soshin

Here is quick preview for my mid month update of Tsuba Otaku website (www.tsubaotaku.com) of a kotō tantō I am going to be adding to the homepage. The length of the cutting edge is 25.4 cm. It is unsigned but was attributed by Honami Tsunemasa to Echizen Rai Munemitsu who worked in Ōei Era ( circa 1392-1428 CE) in Echizen Province but came from Yamato Province. The tip has has been reshaped and the sword shorten due to serious combat damage via a method called satsu-age. This process was not extreme enough for the tanto to lose its boshi or to have the nakago shorted in anyway as it is still ubu. The copper two piece habaki is very nice. Here is a photo of it as well. The ji-hada is itame with a mixture of a running masame visible in a few places. Polite discussion is always welcome.

post-680-0-26076400-1538776954_thumb.jpg

post-680-0-91002600-1538776964_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks StevenK.  Satsu-age reshaped daggers and other short swords were so popular during the late Edo Period that Shin-shinto era swordsmiths were making copies.  The Japanese term for that is 'satsu-age zukuri'. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I did another photo of this mumei tantō attributed to Echizen Rai Munemitsu today using my new lighting setup.  I wanted to show the full extent of the tantō that was shorted with its very nice two piece copper habaki.  I find the ji-hada on this tanto very interesting and dynamic to look at.  The second photo does that nicely in my opinion.  One of my Japanese sword sensei did confirm its age of the Ōei Era after looked at it in hand late last year at a club meeting.  Here is a link to my write up about this tantō on my hobby website: https://www.tsubaotaku.com/nihonto-gallery.  It is the second tantō on the website.         

post-680-0-49121000-1549481644_thumb.jpg

post-680-0-13049400-1549482350_thumb.jpg

Your website is coming along great! I like how its laid out and easy to follow. And I learned something today, satsu-age. Thanks!

Hello Dwain H.,

You are welcome and thank you for visiting my website.  It is always a work in progress and a labor of love. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..