Favorite Online Places To Purchase Tsuba?

Hello Patrick. I dont have a lot of tsuba but I have bought from Aoi, Nihonto Australia, Grey Doffin and my favorite Nmb. Occasionally I grab a cheapish one from ebay to get my fix but one must be careful swimming in that shark infested water.

Greg

• Like 1

My commercial website for Rain Dragon Fine Art and Antiques is still a work in progress. Take a look at my personal collection website (www.tsubaotaku.com) to help expand your knowledge base before you buy anywhere. This way you will make a informed decision when the times comes.

• Like 1

Patrick - what you really need to do is to NOT buy anything but look at every commercial site available including the sales pages here and the seller links listed here and learn from them.  Check out the attributions, papers, everything you can gleen from them, pick up books appropriate to you interest areas and only when you have a grasp of the field start investing in 'good' examples.  The truth is that you are not going to learn from junk no matter how much you collect.  Give yourself a year at the minimum.  I've got fifteen years in and I am finally confident that I have a grasp on about 1% of the material but I can be prone to exaggeration from time to time.

PS:  If you live in the USA go to the Chicago and San Fran shows minimally as they are worth the investments due to the number of dealers present.  THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL LEARN IS TO TRAIN YOUR EYES AND THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE IN PERSON.

The Great Oz Has Spoken...

• Like 4

Most of the best material is sold in private sales,  you are not privy to,  and at the major auction houses.  If you wish to see the best make a trip to the important sales,  buy the catalogues,  study.   These are the primary sources of the Best dealers offerings,  very little of the top  quality material makes it to the shows...and the bulk of what does is often sold before the doors open or is not on display.

-S-

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I like to hunt for things I like. That usually means that i do NOT want the advice of experts. I frankly don't care about the fine points of this or that school.  I'd rather make my own judgements, thank you.  We used to be able to search places like gun shows, flea markets, and shops, but those sources have dried up. Currently you can scan easily accessible sites to see hundreds of fittings that have names and assessments attached. Some also offer useful information. I love Andy Quirt's presentations but the most accessible spot for searching in the modern world is Ebay. It is a walk thru the modern flea market.Read the books. Listen to the conversation AND LOOK AT STUFF!

Peter

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..