Who's Kihachirō?

Guido

I’m not a collector of Japanese matchlocks, but think everybody should have at least one ;-) . Yesterday I was offered one for a very reasonable price, and couldn’t resist: see attachment. I’ll take some more pics when I’m back from a two weeks trip I’ll go on the day after tomorrow.

I have no books that cover hinawajū makers, and can’t hunt for them now because of above mentioned travels. It’s signed 摂州鶯谷喜八郎作 (Sesshū jū Uguisudani Kihachirō saku), and I wonder if anybody on this forum has info about him.

post-12-0-74426500-1537691219_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guido, there was a long line of Sesshu Shimaya smiths and within those the famous Kihachiro family. The first of this latter branch was probably Kiichiro; the second signed just like yours, with no further name below. There is a dated 3 Monme han-makibari gun of his recorded as Kyōwa Gannen, kept in the magazine in Matsumoto Castle. There were 12 further Kihachiro smiths listed in the 1800s.

Strangely enough I bought a Kihachiro 10 Monme earlier this year and it is a seriously good gun, drawing favorable comments in Japan, especially at the mention of the smith name.

May I join the line to say congratulations on your first purchase!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Piers! I found many Kihachirō guns on Google, but almost all were in museums or on auction pages - nor real info about this smith/group, so I'm glad you provided some background on him/them.

I'll post a photo of the mei when I'm back. Are there any meikans like for swords and fittings so a comparison is possible?

Sadly no, Guido, but so little was known about guns even in Japan that there has never been a market for them such as exists for Nihonto. The name of the gunsmith holds little weight, except among a tiny band of aficionados. Judgement of long gun value tends to crudely follow bore size. Pistols tend to be rarer, fetching a premium. Many dealers find they can sell guns that are more highly decorated, and few would think to open one up to check the signature. If it is on the registration paperwork, fine, but forgery or Gimei is virtually unknown.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..