Shinsa Games

Timur

Tokubetsu Hozon shinsa results will be ready soon. 

I decided to entertain you and show one of the pieces I applied for TH. It is signed Goto Mitsutaka (光貨) - which was one of the early go of Goto Ichijo. This kozuka was published in Tanyu Kai Zuroku book described as Goto Ichijo and curio. 

I am curious to get your opinion on: What will be the decision of shinsa team?

And I will let you know the results.

post-3360-0-10373400-1537531027_thumb.jpg

post-3360-0-15930500-1537531038_thumb.jpg

post-3360-0-19758000-1537531048_thumb.jpg

post-3360-0-53845500-1537531071_thumb.jpg

post-3360-0-00204100-1537531083_thumb.jpg

post-3360-0-70496700-1537531092_thumb.png

• Like 1

HI Val - having a bit of sport, are we?  LOL!  OK then, I'll bite.

This kozuka has very good craftsmanship and could very well be early work.  The mei, Goto Mitsutaka is '最初期銘' earliest signature - but has only two examples in, 'Toso Kodogu Meiji Taikei and only one of the two is in this writing form (the other from menuki is more cursive).  The one  found in, 'Shinsen Kinko Meikan' is the cursive form from Wakayama and none found in, 'Studies in Kyo Goto'. The problem I find is that the kozuka mei does not match the one in Wakayama.  Ichijo's mei were very fine line where this one is a bit blunt and, shall we say, 'uncertain' in it's execution.  If we compare it to the next Ichijo mei which is Mitsuyuki there is more similarity but still lacks the refinement of the recorded mei.  My feeling is that it may not pass shinsa but if it is recognized as shoshin then it would be a 'very' important addition to canon as a transition mei between Mitsutake and Mitsuyuki, which of course I would applaud.

Pete 

From Wakayama:  

post-83-0-64938300-1537538656_thumb.jpgpost-83-0-47958500-1537539016_thumb.jpgpost-83-0-72695200-1537538664_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Going on the signature alone and not the work (something we shouldn't do) I had also concluded gimei.
But the work is very nice indeed. Nanako maybe not quite as refined as I would have expected. My vote also goes to a fail, although I would not be terribly surprised if it passed.

Hmmm, I'm the first to admit I "know nuuuthing" about kodogu/tosogu apart from liking them all...  BUT..  I would opine for fail simply on the appearance of the mei.  Having seen a bit of GOTO work, without even going to the books the mei seems right upfront strange to me.  As Pete Klein said "My feeling is that it may not pass shinsa but if it is recognized as shoshin then it would be a 'very' important addition to canon".

As for the work I think its very good and I would love to have it in my collection.  Looking forward to the result.

BaZZa.

One more going in here with smaller knowledge on kodogu, so just my simple opinion.

The workmanship is nice, I did not focus on Goto and therefore cannot state that much from the piece itself, but design and carving are of nice quality. 

For the signature: We have here two Signatures of how many after all? In my opinion especially later Kinko artist liked to vary their signature from time to time, as for them directly selling to the customer, these didn't need the signature as authentication. Of course presuming the signature was not added later. The signature was somehow a trademark for the client and the signature became important for us as the direct line to the artist faded over time. Of course the evaluation and comparison of mei and workmanship is hard to balance and it is also about including/excluding unsure pieces from the papered rank.

My vote for shoshin having a chance

• 3 weeks later...

So, you were right guys - shinsa says gimei...

But as usually, the devil is in the details.

One of the shinsa team gave his private comments:

- They liked the signature a lot

- They liked the quality

- They do not recognize in it the style of Goto Ichijo.

So, I leave it for a future investigation

Valery,

I really am not fond of the current NBTHK shinsa team at the Hozon level.

My opinions on it are well known, but I am glad you could get some private feedback.

I felt that [these days] if the signature is not a nigh perfect lay down match for Wakayama, the results all seem to be 'Horyu' or failed as gimei.

You saying, "-they liked the signature a lot, they liked the quality, but did not recognize it in the style of Goto Ichijo"

implies to me that at least they are looking beyond straight checking Wakayama these days.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..