Australian Journalist Tracking Bayonet Repatriation Story. Help!

Japan auctions

Ok, so here's a long shot... and please forgive that it's not exactly a traditionally made Japanese sword here, but...
wanna repatriate a WW2 bayonet to Japan? I received this mail asking for help, so if you have any leads or ideas, please mail Micaela:

"My name is Micaela Hambrett and I'm a journalist at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
I am following a story about a Japanese WW2 bayonet being returned to the soldier's family in Japan.
I understand it was obtained by an Australian soldier in Darwin at the end of WW2.
I am trying to track down people who can help me with information about it's origin, in effect narrowing down its original owner.
I have photos and access to the artifact. [see attached]

If you're able to assist, that would be terrific. However I understand you may not be able to. My email is hambrett.micaela@abc.net.au

Thank you kindly for your time
Micaela Hambrett"

Kelly Schmidt

post-2256-0-88633000-1537425566_thumb.png

post-2256-0-32773300-1537425582_thumb.png

post-2256-0-38197000-1537425596_thumb.png

a few points/issues

that is " a bayonet "is a product of war and there for is illegal to own or import to Japan. the possibility of a exemption should be discussed with a more educated person in Japan.

also with japans not so positive approach to there ww2 history, Im not inclined to think the family would be at all interested in what is a mass produced item with no real history of that compared to a nihonto 

just my opinion 

• Like 5

If you don't get a translation of the tag here, you could take it over to the "Translation Assistance" forum where that's all they do. http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/forum/15-translation-assistance/

There is at least one organization that specializes in repatriating war flags, but like the guys above, I have read several stories where the receiving family just turned around and sold the flags on ebay. There was a famously covered story of a sword that was returned. So special permissions are obviously possible to return war weapons such as this.

Info on Japanese govt effort to return flags and 1000 stich belts: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/government-Japan-will-now-act-intermediary-case-you-wish-return-war-relics-families-679338/

If she goes through with this effort, she should just be realistic and know that the results are at best 50/50% on how it will be received on the other end.

The 1st tag says 軍需部 "Munitions Department"

The 2nd tag is a name: 畑正行 Hata Masayuki 

"Hata" is the family/surname. It is a relatively common name. 

There is an organization called "Obon Society" that tries to repatriate Japanese war memorabilia (usually flags, but I think they take on other cases as well).

http://obonsociety.org/

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..