A Bajou Zutsu In Oz - Information Assistance Appreciated

Bazza

A couple of years ago in another thread I promised to present a bajou zutsu found in a toolbox in a shed in country Australia.  It has taken awhile to get around to writing it up, but here it is.

Firstly, I acknowledge Piers Dowding who agreed it was a genuine bajou zutsu and further opined that the stock had been sanded, always a problem with casual acquisition by people who can see a way to “improve” a piece. Piers also commented that the pan lid seems to have been replaced, possibly abroad as the shape is unusual.

The overall length is 20 3/8 inches (51.8 cm) with the barrel length 13 inches (30.0 cm).  It is somewhat degraded due to poor treatment and storage over the ages, but it is signed and nearly complete. Although it reminds me of a Kunitomo gun, I’m not sure if there is a flash shield missing or not.

It has what I consider to be a high quality lock.  I have three short-barrelled Kunitomo matchlocks with internal coiled springs for the hammer, but this bajou zutsu also has an additional coiled spring for the trigger.  I am surprised to not see a maker’s mark on the lock as my three guns all have a maker’s mark stamped inside.

The signature is simply MORIMASA SAKU  盛 正 作  with a number SHICHI    on an adjacent barrel flat.

The muzzle shape is quite distinctive so I hope some someone can identify the gunsmith in a book and reveal the school he worked in and perhaps the age of the gun - from my limited experience I’m thinking ca 1800??

A very exciting find here in Oz and one wonders how some of the things we see here originally came to Australia.

Best regards,

BaZZa.

(aka Barry Thomas)

post-671-0-86823100-1537268052_thumb.jpg  post-671-0-82191200-1537268075_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-74025000-1537268146_thumb.jpg  post-671-0-82639400-1537268167_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-89685600-1537268204_thumb.jpg  post-671-0-78321300-1537268234_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-87106200-1537268268_thumb.jpg  post-671-0-21368400-1537268288_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-18795200-1537268311_thumb.jpg  post-671-0-68948700-1537268417_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-14697700-1537268348_thumb.jpg  post-671-0-46800400-1537268389_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, a good-looking gun indeed, BaZZa. The 'Kunitomo' feel I can see too, especially in the shape of the barrel. The iron serpentine is a good fine shape. 

Your smith however, assuming it is the same one and I do not see why not, is listed for Sasshu 薩州住, ie living in Satsuma, and I have found one of this smith's guns dated 安政三年. Not at all a typical Satsuma-style gun. Perhaps he only lived for a while in Satsuma.

Ian B or Jan P may want to come in regarding the lockspring, etc.

(PS There was once an amaooi seated in the groove above the pan. The front sight seems to have been bashed forwards a touch.)

BaZZa,  A very nice gun although it does look as if someone has 'had a go' at the pan cover and possibly the lock as well. As Piers has said there should be an amaooi that fits into the notch in the front face of the pan and into the long slot behind the pan. They often have a sliver of brass that slides into a grooves in the barrel and the back face of the amaooi to stop it lifting. The upper edge of the pan cover is usually thinned and slides under the bottom edge of the amaooi to act as a water seal.

Ian Bottomley 

A nice find ”Down Under”, Barry! These (genuine) bajou zutsu is getting quite rare. There are so many long-guns being cut-down and sold as carbine or pistol-matchlocks. But it’s all in the balance of the serpentine, stock and the pins holding the barrel in place. This gun def got that balance.

I think the lock looks quite crude, to be honest. The possible connection to Satsuma is interesting. A lot of the gunsmiths down there, only signed with the name.

Early matchlocks made in Satsuma differs quite a lot from the ones we associate with that area. But they always got one or two details that points to Satsuma. I can’t really see that in this gun. But as Piers said, the gunsmith might have relocated during his life, which might explain the problem to nail it down to one area.

The muzzle is interesting and might also point to a southern origin.

Jan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..