Kantei Section For The Raffle "who Wants To Win A Nihonto"

Guest Rayhan

OMG, one just doesn't expect this...

The only other real win I've had in my life is the hand of my Darling wife Jenny.  Without her I wouldn't be in the Nihonto game...  There is a back story, but suffice to say we have just celebrated our 49th Wedding Anniversary.  Oh, and I've just had another win at auction - a bajou zutsu, of which more later...

Well, to be honest my other call for the Kantei #1 was Hosokawa Masayoshi, and as Rayhan said it was the yasurime.  BUT, I was pulled to Munetsugu.

I'm off to PM Rayhan and I would just like to conclude by thanking Rayhan for an extraordinary act of generosity to encourage our mutual togetherness and devotion in Nihonto.  A special and heartfelt thank you to Brian who continues to lead us out of the Wilderness by his Solomonesque counsel.  A huge thank you and acknowledgement to this wonderful community of like-minded souls who "hang out" in the pursuit of our passion.  Thank you, finally, to those who have offered congratulations on my winning of this Grand Prize.

Gambatte.

BaZZa.

• Like 16

Congratulations Bazza!!!... and well played by everyone involved! It’s nice to see that out on the internet there are still places you can go that are civil up to the point of being happy someone else won... sadly, you just don’t find that too often anymore.

• Like 2

Well done Bazza, hope I can have a look next time I'm over! Many thanks to Ray for this kantei concept and the extremely generous prize. Also to Brian and all the mods who keep this forum working, many thanks to all and of course all who offer advice and expertise. Mike.

• Like 1

Congrats Barry!

And would you believe Ko-Hoki actually occurred to me  :o  :o  :o !?  Specifically, because of the strange suddenly narrow straight section near the monouchi – it jostled something in my memory. But then I remembered Darcy's example was the opposite (became very full near the monouchi). Ah, it makes so much sense… the vaguely Soshu-like hamon (or should I say, Soshu is a vaguely Ko-Hoki hamon) on such an old-looking blade.

The yasurime on the other pieces ought to have been a gimme for narrowing down possibilities, but I didn't exactly give myself enough time to take advantage. At least I got the time periods correct! Step one down, a million more steps to go.

This is a stupendously generous gift on the part of the donator. Cheers all, —G.

Just got online to see the update. Fantastic! What a deserving winner. Congrats Bazza!
Can't thank Ray enough for this. Mindblowing opportunity and one that will be remembered for a long, long time. There were so many deserving winners, but at the end of the day it will have a great home with someone who really appreciates Nihonto.
I think I will set aside some funds and see if we can have regular, smaller competitions like this. Even if just a nice book, or a tsuba or fittings etc. Thank you again Ray and to everyone who participated.

• Like 2

Congratulations Bazza, it couldnt have happened to a nicer guy!

Also a very large thank you to Rayhan for his generosity,which stimulated a lot of people to try doing kantei for the first time. 

No one gave 3 totally correct answers. However it is worth remembering that the original purpose of kantei was firstly to determine the age of a sword and secondly its quality. The refinement in to school and smith is a progression beyond these two fundamental starting points.

Virtually everyone got the period right on at least two of the three swords which is pretty d**** good. So all who took part deserve a pat on the back for their answers and for having a go. It is also worth highlighting how many people who hadn't tried before said how much fun it was and how much they had learned from the exercise.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..