Kantei Section For The Raffle "who Wants To Win A Nihonto"

Guest Rayhan

Please forgive me if I place things out of order but here we go

Shinogi Zukuri with Chu Kissaki

Nioi-Deki or Nioi Guchi with Gunome Midare or Gunome Notari Hamon and Itame/Mokume/Masame Jihada

Utsuri Midare?

Boshi is Midare Komi

Wide Kata Chiri Hi

Either Koto or late Edo? Soshu or Bizen Osafune? Maybe late Edo based on file marks on Nakago

Shinogi Zukuri with Ikubi Kissaki

Nie Deki or Yubashiri/Nijuba with Suguha or Hotsure Hamon and Itame with Masame in Shinogi Ji

Boshi is Togari or Notari Kami

Sori is Tori Zori?

Another Late Koto or Shinto

Sue Seki/Kanemitsu/Aoe

Shinogi Zukuri with Ikubi Kissaki

Ji-Nie Chikei with Notare Hamon and Mokume or Ha Hada

Boshi is Notare-Komi or AOE

Sori is Tori Zori or Koshi Zori?

Wide Ryo Chiri Hi

Im thinking this is definitely a Koto blade and possibly suriage

This was allot harder than I thought it would be! lol

Good Luck everyone!

D

• Like 2

Guest Rayhan

I think we will need to evaluate between the 10th to 16th on that and if people haven't done the Kantei we should catch them!

*we can't do a draw till everyone is included and completes the challenge

Great for the first try!

Only 3 more days to go guys so get those Kantei submissions in if you've covered the fee.

Thanks. I'm sure I'm way off especially on the nie and nioi (I was looking at specific area instead of the blade as a whole) but this Kantei has really made the entire experience very interesting!

It's amazing that each Nihonto is like a finger print! No two alike!

Thanks again

Dwain

A lot harder than I thought! Although I didn't spend nearly enough time with my books on these - I will give it a try:

Kantei 1

Taikei Naotane – Shinshinto – Koto Bizen revival piece. Seeing the outstanding hada with a lot of activity and the yakigashira that seem to vanish in the hi, I opt for Naotane rather than Munetsugu.

Kantei 2

Tsuda Echizen Sukehiro – Shinto Kanbun - a bit machi-okuri –- High Mune - condensed ko-itame with a lot of ji-nie – frayed nie that go into the ha together with clear and bright jiba point towards Sukehiro. Was first leaning more towards Hizen Tadahiro, but obviously the yasuri weren’t correct.

Kantei 3

Late  Kamakura, Yamashiro traits, utsuri that tends to shirake, jiba not bright enough for main Rai smiths. My guess would be Ryokai.

• Like 2

Craziest thing is how few submissions there are. My assumption is we have well over 200 raffle entries, but many just don't have time/inclination to try the kantei. No biggie to me, but this has been fun to follow so I am having fun.

I wish we had that kind of financial backup. No...probably closer to 15% of that.

Hi Rayhan and Brian:

If there are only 30 entries, we are looking at $900 for NMB.  If you do not reach a reasonable amount, I suggest that you refund the money to participants, keep the sword and then make a $900 to the board. No entrant loses, your loss is much less than the value of the sword. 

This situation is a shame. I don't gamble, enter lotteries and the like or I would participate. 

• Like 4

Guest Rayhan

I guess as the one giving the prize i feel that the people that entered deserve a chance to win a nice sword so i am going for it all the way. But, the low turn out just means we should not do it again in the future.

I will stick with my pledge to donate the sword, or proceeds of the sale of the sword, to the NMB if I win.  If enough of the participants do the same, we will dramatically increase the likelihood that the net to NMB will be much more.

Hi guys ive been very busy and tired so havnt entered as yet but i will try give it a go if I can get another day or two as it will take some effort on my behalf because with my very little kantei experience. You are doing a great thing Rayhan and Brian so thank you for the opportunity. Please let me/us know if another couple days is ok to get the donation and kantei attempt in. Thanks.

Greg

Here goes, not confident on any but hey,what an experience. Have never tried or even envisaged an attempt. Really has shown me how little I know and that I don't have the years left to improve. But I'm convinced that I'll be able to get a better handle on my own collection from this nightmare!#!#

1.Appears ubu, sugata is Tori-Zori, long Nagasa(wish it was mine!) Kesho yasuri style yasurime- Shinto or Shinshinto. As for hada I think I see itame- hada I found was a huge weakness of mine. First thought was bizen Yokoyama but no Osaka yakidashi. Near Ha machi I think I saw yakisoni and this swayed me to Suishishi Masahide.Kyowa- bunka 1801-1818.

2.I think late Shinto, wide Mihaba, keisho yasuri. Hada appears fine ko- mokume maybe Hiz(en(konuka-hada) Up from the Ha-machi I think I see coarse mokume and shingane. Boshi seems Ko maru sagari on the omote and maybe kaen on ura. Genroku era 1688-1704,Hizen ju Fujiwara Shizuhiro.

3.Mumei. nakago dark colour and pitted. Suriage maybe 5-6 cm as shows fumbari, no visible yasurime- koto blade.Chu kissaki, ko maru- short Kaeri.Hamon chu-suguha mixed with choji midare. Hada- maybe mokume?

Ouch! Rai Kunitoshi.

• Like 2

Hi Brian and Ray, many thanks for this opportunity, great learning curve. Reminds me of Miguel from Fawlty Towers " I know nothing I come from Barcelona"!!!

On behalf of the Aussie's I wish to apologise for the lack of interest by my fellow country men. Please just award the $100 to the nearest. I'm sure all who have completed the kantei have no regrets for the minimal donation to a voluntary forum that allows access to world experts to answer their questions and gather information or be directed to the right place to find it. Really, less than a dollar a day for a year.I can't win a chook raffle so it won't affect me just please give the $100 prize, and I applaud your motives and thank you for the challenge you laid out for us. I enjoyed, pulled my hair out on the experience and I just can't understand how we have reached this spot. Ray, many thanks once again for your generosity and many thanks to you Brian aswell. Regards Michael.

• Like 3

Hi Rayhan and Brian:

If there are only 30 entries, we are looking at $900 for NMB. If you do not reach a reasonable amount, I suggest that you refund the money to participants, keep the sword and then make a $900 to the board. No entrant loses, your loss is much less than the value of the sword.

This situation is a shame. I don't gamble, enter lotteries and the like or I would participate.

I think there is technically over 200 actual paid entries but much less Kantei posts (roughly 30 as you said)?

Kantei submissions:

#1.) Unju Korekazu - Shinshinto - the nagasa, amount of hataraki, boshi and yasurime

#2.) Hamabe Toshinori/Jukaku - Shinshinto - the way in which the hamon starts off narrow and widens as it reaches the kissaki, and also the yasurime

#3.) Rai Kuniyuki - Koto (Shogen Era 1259-1260) - a common feature is Warabite choji in the monouchi area through the yokote line; also the kissaki and boshi

Regards,

Mark F.

Hello all, new to the forum and have no knowledge of appraisal aside from research done the past couple of weeks. But here are my guesses:

#1 Considering the long nagasa, koshi zori sugata, and ko-choji? hamon, would have originally guessed it is a Bizen school sword from the Nanbokucho era. It's hard for me to see, but I think it has ayasugi-hada, so I am now guessing it is a shinto sword made by Gassan Sadakazu during the Edo period.

#2 After looking at so many Shoshu style swords, it feels like the closest with that larger kissaki that has kind of a wide taper, and it has a suguha hamon with kin-tsuji and saka-ashi. It looks very similar to Fujiwara Masahiro's work so my guess is it's his work from the keicho shinto era.

#3 It has a slim shinogi ji, notare midare hamon, and also appears similar to Yamato Uda school style. It has a deep sori and 3 mekugi ana. I guess it is an Uda Kunifusa.

• Like 1

I think there is technically over 200 actual paid entries but much less Kantei posts (roughly 30 as you said)?

Again, no. Not even close. More like about 30 paid entries.

And Mike, not sure what $100 prize you are referring to?

• Like 1

Bit of a last moment entry... the new academic year has been keeping me busy with preparing lecture notes and working on last-minute publications.
Thanks to Peter Farrar for the reminder!
My guesses - and they really are that - are:

1. Shinshinto (Tenpo)  Bizen   Yokoyama Sukesada  
(classic Bizen gunome hamon, though shape and condition suggest shinshinto)

2. Shinto (Kanbun)  Hizen   Tadayoshi
(typical Hizen Tadayoshi traits - perhaps late generation with kesho yasuri?)

3. Koto (late Kamakura)  Yamashiro  (Nakajima) Rai Kuninaga
(Based of the hi, what looks like coarse mokume hada, and chu-suguha)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..