Which Of Your Tsubas Best Embodies The Wabi-Sabi Aesthetic?

lotus

Sounds OK to me Adam

When this post started and we had some wonderful examples

Then there was a sprinkling of old tsuba, just because they were old but in my opinion not true to this theme

The whole concept is difficult and no one can be 100% correct

I would ask 'posters' to reread the Wabi Sabi notes below and really looking at your tsuba in light of this information

I don't want to restrict this post as I can look at tsuba all day

If unsure then post it and ask for opinions so there can be a better understanding of this elusive term

Not my words but cleaned from the internet as I'm not that knowledgeable (or clever)

In traditional Japanese aesthetics, wabi-sabi (侘寂) is a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete

Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, roughness, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes.

"If an object or expression can bring about, within us, a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing, then that object could be said to be wabi-sabi.

The words wabi and sabi do not translate easily. Wabi originally referred to the loneliness of living in nature, remote from society; sabi meant "chill", "lean" or "withered". Around the 14th century these meanings began to change, taking on more positive connotations. Wabi now connotes rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and can be applied to both natural and human-made objects, or understated elegance. It can also refer to quirks and anomalies arising from the process of construction, which add uniqueness and elegance to the object. Sabi is beauty or serenity that comes with age, when the life of the object and its impermanence are evidenced in its patina and wear, or in any visible repairs.

After centuries of incorporating artistic and Buddhist influences from China, wabi-sabi eventually evolved into a distinctly Japanese ideal. Over time, the meanings of wabi and sabi shifted to become more lighthearted and hopeful. Around 700 years ago, particularly among the Japanese nobility, understanding emptiness and imperfection was honoured as tantamount to the first step to satori, or enlightenment.

A good example of this embodiment may be seen in certain styles of Japanese pottery. In the Japanese tea ceremony, the pottery items used are often rustic and simple-looking, e.g. Hagi ware, with shapes that are not quite symmetrical, and colours or textures that appear to emphasize an unrefined or simple style. In fact, it is up to the knowledge and observational ability of the participant to notice and discern the hidden signs of a truly excellent design or glaze (akin to the appearance of a diamond in the rough).

In one sense wabi-sabi is a training whereby the student of wabi-sabi learns to find the most basic, natural objects interesting, fascinating and beautiful. Fading autumn leaves would be an example. Wabi-sabi can change our perception of the world to the extent that a chip or crack in a vase makes it more interesting and gives the object greater meditative value. Similarly materials that age such as bare wood, paper and fabric become more interesting as they exhibit changes that can be observed over time.

The wabi and sabi concepts are religious in origin, but actual usage of the words in Japanese is often quite casual because of the syncretic nature of Japanese belief

WTFN...

I am more into kinko works these days, but I still have these two after I put them through shinsa last year.

The Hazama I posted at the start of this thread has moved on to a good home with a mentor of mine.

[1]  First is (H) Kunitomo Teiei circa early 1700s, -interesting that it has a Yagyu design motif on front n back.

[2]  Second is (H) wan [cupped] shape nidai Shimizu/Jingo example. I previously owned a similar example from Ito-san's book. This one has more soul to it.

post-44-0-90977000-1595645137_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-87928700-1595645767_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great intellectual discussion and much said on the topic of Japanese aesthetics. Thank you guys.

Here is one that I enjoy under spot lighting for its aesthetic quality. Owari-Kanayama (deeply dished with 8 mm mimi thickness). 

Best,

Mark

post-2371-0-61088400-1595693594_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I am posting this one, simply because a much more knowledgeable friend described it as "very Wabi Sabi". I bought it in 2013, and I am posting the vendors pics because they are better than my own.

Nothing very special about it in my eyes, but I like it all the same.

post-2218-0-09058700-1595766944_thumb.jpg

post-2218-0-37976100-1595766956_thumb.jpg

Late into this discussion, very interesting and educational. Here's my entry, I think Hoan (for lack of info), but am open to other opinions. Please offer opinions. I've no idea what school it might be.

rich

post-5-0-58716100-1595785942_thumb.jpg

That house and gardens IMHO epitomises Wabi Sabi.

What is Wabi Sabi on the house pictures?  :dunno:

For me it looks like a Japanese thought of shabby chic. Nothing in that pictures that let me think its wabi sabi.

• Haha 1

I've shown a few examples any my own personal take on this theme

Happy for any comments about these tsuba and no need to hold back and it would be nice to have a lively discussion and maybe some controvesty

Fire away!

No 1

A good example of wabi sabi

post-2100-0-10272400-1595838220_thumb.jpg

No 2

Difficult to say. Are the hammer marks contrived or a random (ish) pattern

One the tsuba is struck there is no going back and as this is from a decent smith I assume he was happy with the result

post-2100-0-68101100-1595838226_thumb.jpg

No 3

Being old (circa 1500) doesn’t make the a wabi sabi tsuba

post-2100-0-73174400-1595838234_thumb.jpg

No 4

Has age but a ‘designed tsuba so definitely not wabi sabi

post-2100-0-09297500-1595838244_thumb.jpg

No 5

Absolutely nothing to do with this subject but makes me smile and that is another story/theme

post-2100-0-43817300-1595838251_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What is Wabi Sabi on the house pictures?  :dunno:

For me it looks like a Japanese thought of shabby chic. Nothing in that pictures that let me think its wabi sabi.

The old bamboo fences,and the stone features which are stained by age with subtle Grey and brown tones, reflects sabi, and the contrived rock garden wabi.

Here is an older tsuba which may fit the category. It is kagami-shi, probably early to mid Muromachi.  Its wabi sabi aspects seem more literal than some others posted here, such as the obvious worm eaten mimi, and what seems to be the story of zen enlightenment and transience (culminating with the ox lying peacefully unbound upon the rope which originally confined him.) *this specific stamped die of the ox I've found on two other well known kagami-shi tsuba which are dated 1300's-1400's tentatively.   jirwin

post-3005-0-16935200-1595878772_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Following on Piers D (Bugyotsuji)'s post above of his 'net-pierced ' tsuba with this one. Is it wabi-sabi ?

I really like this tsuba (70 x 66) for where the craftsman has chosen to leave his design but it has also occurred to me- what if he had set out to do a complete pattern but decided at it's present stage - I'm getting tired of this and decided to call it as enough. Or he could have taken ill or even passed away at this stage and the workshop decided to sell it as it was ?

But I don't really think the latter to be true but believe the design was in his mind all along and I like it as he finished it.

Roger j 

And it is not symmetrical either as you can see.

post-4273-0-51699900-1596104173_thumb.jpg

post-4273-0-77985000-1596104189_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I like the pine over gorge with river.

Very nice.whats the obverse? Or is that the obverse?

Thanks! The other side is the front/omote showing Shinra Saburo playing a Sho on top of a mountain underneath a silver moon and clouds and above golden fog. It's by Nomura Katsumori(1835-1917, he signed on the front like most Natsuo School peeps), a student of Kano Natsuo and teacher to Kagawa Katsuhiro. From the mid Meiji era onwards he worked mostly for the Imperial Household Agency so his works are quite rare. I'm going to post a new thread about this tsuba some time later :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..