Nihonto And Rainy Days

Hello Guys..

I know the Doctor's recomendation would be "Then, Don't do that"....  :shame:

But, do you guys look at your Blades on Rainy Days?    :wow:

Really wet here in Hawaii now.

We just had one hell of a down pour. Now, so quite.. 

Hope Ken's side is alright.

Is the high moisture level in the air "Instantly devastating"?

I feel like, once I wipe off the Breakfree CO , the Blade would "Instantly"  start to rust.  :(

Any or all thoughts welcome.

or, is this a "  No Brainer.."    :laughing:

Alton Ken <  The other Ken in Hawaii  :)

Hi Charles, 

Sorry, I should have mentioned, in the house (Indoors) . :( but, good point. Had that in that other post with rain drops on the blade. 

Dave.. :thumbsup: I was thinking ( well, at my level, Wondering ) the same thing Dave..

I never seen any Samurai keeping their blades dry at Sekigahara.  :phew:

I was going put the Tsubas back on the Blades today, to hang up.

I made a Wall Rack, and, found a Waki in a bag I forgot I had. 

Supposed to be Koto Blade. I will post later..

Thanks guys..

Alton

My first thought when I read the initial post was of the Kokuho (national treasure) yoroi which I have read is never taken out for viewing when it is rainy outside (I assume that any significant changes in pressure and humidity are too great a risk for such a delicate an important item (a intact yoroi from the Kamakura period). With swords I would be less concerned and never changed by viewing habits here in Florida, where we often have rainy daily in the summer months. 

• Like 3

Just to follow up on Ray's point. Very traditional collectors would hold a peice of paper in their mouths when viewing a great sword (obstensibly to keep the condensation from their breath off the sword). Modern experts have pointed out the the moist air from your nose is not materially different so no need for the paper in the mouth. I think that as long as you put oil on the sword within a reasonable time after removing the previous oil coat it should be fine. However, I do remember a fine sword that developed rust in less than two hours.  Years ago at a show in Dallas, an owner wiped his sword to show it around and then put it in his car.  He came back two hours later to oil it only to find that a fine red rust had already developed on the blade.

• Like 1

Rare, but one must also be aware of "sweating" shirasaya.  I once (in my young, green daze) left a newly polished sword in shirasaya on the rear parcel shelf of my car in the sun.  Taking the blade out only a few hours later it had what looked like fly-specks on the surface - rust.  I take it that moisture had evaporated out of the shirasaya in direct sunlight and condensed on the blade.  The message?  Even inside your house take care to not leave a shirasaya-mounted blade in direct sunlight.

BaZZa.

• Like 2

Good Morning from Hawaii.

We just took a heavy downpour about 3:00 a.m.

I got a small leak in my Chawan Room. Ahhh. lucky, water drops from the ceiling drips just pass the shelf, and, on the floor.

Only had to wipe up rain water. 

So, on rainly days,

1) don't take your blade outside. even unnoticed droplets can cause havoc.

2) In Japan, where there there is considerable amount of rain, moisture, swords were shown to be a bit more robust.

3) In Japan, some items are not "Brought out" in rainy weather.

4) Sword Shows do display swords in other locations that have detrimental humidity .

5) In a short time, (two hours), exposed blades can develope surface rust.

6) Sweating from the sayashira can moisen the surface of a blade, if left in the sunlight, even/especially in  enclosed spaces.

7) Ken-Hawaii is O.K. on the Windward side of Oahu  :clap:

Just added: Before, when viewing blades at the sword meetings, I wore a paper resperator type mask, so I do not expectorate on the blade when I am talking.

Blades are "Failsafe"

Treat you blades as if it was your child.

Anything you do wrong, can, or, will  have unchangeable, permanant  results.

Thanks guys.

Alton  :)

• Like 3

Well put Alton,

Give the first timers a good scare and some things to think about.  A Japanese sword is a responsibility, like a child it depends on you for its safety and well being.  Those not willing to put in the required effort best give stewardship a pass.

Cheers,

-S-

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..