Ebay Feedback

Kanenaga

I haven't looked at eBay for a while, and I'm surprised to find that most sellers today seem to have 100% positive feedback.  In the old days (3-4 years ago) feedback seemed real -- you had gripes and complaints right out there on the table, and 100% positive was a rare find.  I can't quite believe that sellers have become more honorable.  Have eBay feedback policies changed?  What has happened? 

Most matters that would warrant negative feedback are handled by the seller and customer with ebay sometimes having to intervene, generally it takes something dramatic for negative ratings to occur.

Not only that, but in many cases now you can't leave negative feedback under certain conditions (too soon after purchase, no recorded contact with seller, etc).

I had a similar situation to Hamfish, & when the seller removed my feedback, I went very public, both to eBay & the newspapers. A week later, that seller was nowhere to be found. eBay will go out of its way to not look bad, but you have to show them that you're serious.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been selling on eBay since 2003. Full time since 2013.

EBay really hammers to sellers to maintain a positive rating because it starts to effect how your ads are placed and traffic etc...

I follow eBay constantly and allot of the sellers are getting better because good sellers like me are starting to hold them accountable. For instance I look for "fake silver" sellers who list .925 sterling on their items.

Anyways there's allot of really bad Nihonto on eBay being sold for high prices but then again there are some really great items to be found as well. It's up to the buyer to educate themselves sadly and not always rely on the description alone. Same goes for sellers. We need to ask them many questions and if they lie or list "not as described" we need to hold their feet to the fire.

Also, buyers need to educate themselves before buying because sometimes buyers either get remorse or just don't want the item soon even after seeing "no returns". It's a two way street but I think sellers have gotten better (if they want to be in good standing anyways).

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..