Is This Kaiken Tanto Worth Papering?

dirk marshall

Dirk,

Agreed, good trade and the condition is great and what a lovely thing to still have in the family.  My question is does it have a hamon???  If there is, what I'm seeing suggest it is a wimpy, wispy kind of suguha.  If you can't see any hada either it plainly needs a polish - unless there isn't any hada.  As for the nakago, Ray might be right with his SENJUIN call, but the sugata looks nothing like a Senjuin tanto, most of which are mumei anyway (??).  The sugata looks to me Shinto-like and it looks a little thicker than usual??.

Just OTTOMH.  Probably better to show it around at a sword show before committing to Shinsa, but nonetheless it is "grist for the mill"!!

BaZZa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dirk,

At this point it crosses my mind that the tip may have been shortened. If so, then it must be determined what affect that has had on what we see now. Reshapes of old in my experience were too often done more with a return of function in mind than correctness of shape. 

p.s. consult a polisher with excellent foundation skills.

Edited by nagamaki - Franco

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..