Menuki And Kashiras

Claudio

This is my very first post.

I am a newbie, from Europe, so forgive me if I make mistakes.

I have found no room for introduce myself, so forgive me if I directly ask for informations, here...

I don't want to seem rude.

At least I won't waste your time, chatting...  :glee:

Well: this is a recent buy I have done.

Only junk to be studied, for novice, I suppose, nothing special.

What do you think?

i-img1200x900-1528532351cr7olo609904.jpg

Dear Claudio.

Welcome!  Please add your name to your posts as we all do here.  I am sure that you know what you have got; the habaki is pretty standard though with some decoration, the menuki looks quite nice, the kashira are past it I think.  Habaki do not command much value on their own as they are made to fit a specific blade and the chances of getting this one to match a blade are very slim, good to look at it and see how it is made.  For the other fitttings photographs of the backs will tell us more. If you look at the Links at the top toolbar you will find many things to help you learn what good fittings look like and to put yours into context.

Above all else enjoy!

All the best.

• Like 1

I like the deeper kashira, which appears to have some real age to it if one looks at the level of wear on the nanako.  It wouldn't surprise me if that piece is 300-400 years old.  Claudio, I hope you got these at a nice price, since it is a very nice entry into the world of Japanese sword and fittings collecting.  These are not junk, and are real historical artifacts that have some nice art in them.  

Thank you, both, for everything. 

This has not been my very first buy, but they are my very first kashiras.

Sorry: I didn't know that the images of the backs were important: I will enclose them as soon as possible.

I will enclose my signature on the bottom, too and I will spend my time in studying.

Regards, Claudio.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..