Tying Bad

A very kind member gifted me these when he could not find the color we had selected from numerous charts. I have googled to no end in finding a way to tie as shown.

Been through all the vids on saego knots..having all thumbs is not helping.

Really dont want to end up with out a knot due to color and highlight.

Any help much appreciated.post-19-0-70150800-1532643488_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's just half of the 'standard' sageo knot.

When you have the sageo equally pulled through the kurikata, instead of tying either side of the kurikata with an individual end of the sageo, you need to double up the sageo and tie the knot as normal in the direction of the kojiri.

I've attached a pic which will hopefully get the point across.

In case you were wondering, that's not a real saya and sageo, I just have some crazy 'paint' skills.

post-298-0-55972500-1532656159_thumb.png

O.k., here we go. This knot can be done on either the ha or mune side, and is a great option if there's a kozuka and/or kōgai that you don't want to be (partially) covered by the sageo. Or if the sageo would otherwise interfer with the katanakake.

knot.pdf

• Like 12

Stephen,

The swords look beautiful, I think your overthinking it, just experiment at your leisure and eventually you will come upon something your happy with. Just remembered, someone I knew practiced tying on a section of wooden curtain rod , less intimidating and you can work at any angle thats comfortable.....worked for him.

-S-  

I like Guido's photos of the process - thanks for that Guido.  They look like you could pull on the end and the whole thing would unravel instantly.  That makes sense if a samurai has to grab his swords and tie them on quickly.  Cheers, Bob

• Like 1

They look like you could pull on the end and the whole thing would unravel instantly. 

It's called 'daisy chaining' in rigging terms.

But I guess you need to be a rigger to see that and not have to rely on fancy pant PDF's to tie a knot.

(apologies to non riggers and Guido)

:)

Hi Stephen,

All this talk about knots got me thinking (and that's a real bad thing......... :freak:)

Anyway,  I got to wondering how far back does the tying of Sageo in formal knots go?

And why?

I'm off to the archives now and hopefully shall return with something interesting.... :thumbsup:

Pip Pip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..