koshirae is not made by him

"Iimura Kasyo: He was born at Meiji 34, November 3rd. After that he

studied under the Honami Ko-son and also a son of the Miyata Kiyonobu

for making Koshirae and fittings.

He got the Yusyu syo prize, Ministry of Edocation prize, The best honor

president prize at the war time. He also published Tken Yoran, Shinto

taikan and also Shinshinto taikan.

He made many Koshirae but in case of high ranking Koshirae, he put

the name on the Koshirae like this item.

The Koshirae is the top ranking sold gold Koshirae and it is well

matched for Gassan Sadakatsu."

Sorry to be the odd one out but I really dont like the koshirae. While the individual elements are ok (although they look very blingy) they look very strange sitting on this saya and tsuka. They just look thrown on there is no real finness or consistancy. This combined with the "tarts Boudoir" red lacquer makes the whole think look cheap and nasty.

Just as well we dont all like the same thing!!

• Like 3

Pete,

I think what you are seeing is the result of the loss of the original finish (depletion gilding) on some of the areas of the pieces. Without this finish the lower karat gold alloy will tarnish. The karatage of the gold used on this piece appears to be on the lower end of the scale.  Yes, the habaki is indeed gold foil.

Cheers,

-S-

If this koshirae is gold, as stated by Aoi, posted pics illustrate the condition explained. Lower karat gold can oxidize in colors ranging  from orange to black.  Wear would only be applicable if it is plated, if you feel they are in error you should alert them to your suspicions, unsubstantiated conjecture is inappropriate.

-S-

I don't find this unsubstantiated anything. It's a valid question. Given the occasional translation errors or mistakes, I don't think a discussion about the content of the fittings is unwarranted.
Perhaps someone could confirm that all these pieces are solid gold, and perhaps ask what carat.
I remember a Chinese reproduction listed as real, so when spending this amount of money (or even just studying the pics) what's wrong with querying something a buyer would need to do anyways?

• Like 1

I haven't done a careful study of this listing or the fittings maker, but my reflex is to accept the statement on the listing that the fittings are solid gold.  These fittings were made during the Meiji period; I think most would agree that fittings making after the end of Edo declined considerably on the whole.  Nonetheless, this appears to be a very nice set, and since the blade was made to commemorate the crown prince, I believe that this set has been together since this sword was made, unlike some of the pieces that one sees on Aoi that appear to have been assembled more recently.  It is also notable that the fittings appear to have NBTHK TH papers while the sword has NBTHK Hozon papers.  

• Like 1

Brian, I am in complete agreement but I do recall, unless I am hallucinating (which is possible) your stating that this sort of conjecture was inappropriate when it involved an item for sale. I remember another Aoi article where you stated this.  If this is not the case it's good to know that we are encouraged to speak our minds, with the exception of an actual for sale post.  

Please clarify,

-S-

I've never prohibited discussion of for sale items (unless posted by members here, on this page) and especially ones that can be solved by a simple enquiry to the seller, or in this case clarification by Aoi. This isn't some amateur questioning something that is blatantly obvious. They have papers...they are good. Even if foiled or plated it would still be an important set.
For goodness sakes, if we didn't do this, then Aoi would still have an ugly cartoon horse themed Chinese fake up for sale.
No-one has said they are fake, no-one is saying they aren't a great set. But clarify has been asked about the claim that they are solid gold. Anyone considering buying them is going to ask that anyways...and if confirmed, it won't cause any grief.
I would like to know myself. It would even be educational.
If someone reading this is interested in buying it, they are going to expect the same answers. So really, nothing bad intended and all and nothing that cannot be answered.
Who wants to ask Ford what he sees?
I expect the description is correct..which would be nice. But can we clear that up at least.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, I remember that "horse" sword all to well, it haunts my dreams. LOL.  Ultimately this kind of call needs in hand examination, I have seen many things looking this way that were solid, others foiled or plated.  A purchase like this is foolhardy without a guarantee, buying from a trusted reliable merchant gives you that.

-S-

OK - 'NBTHK Hozon Token' is for the sword.  If it was 'Hozon Toso' then it would be for the koshirae ('Hozon Tosogu' for fittings).  The only paper shown is for the sword so apparently the koshirae is not papered unless they omitted it for some reason.  If it was papered the description on the origami would most likely solve the question I had earlier.

Thanks for posting the excerpts Robert.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..