My Most Humble Showcase

Robin

Hello guys and gals,

The stuff I collected over the last year was lying around all over the place.

I had no proper way to display what I have. I have "my own" hobby room (man cave), but I like to display it in the living room...not hidden in my dungeon.

And that was a bit of a problem. The Commander in Chief (she who has more to say) didn't like the idea of a showcase in the living room. :sad:

After some debate, bargaining and a sad puppy face....I was assigned a corner. Well...it's something.

So...behold my humble corner!  :)

post-4355-0-93388300-1532331603_thumb.jpg post-4355-0-05945100-1532331555_thumb.jpg post-4355-0-61986600-1532331583_thumb.jpg

Ok...it's small, but that's fine. At least I can display part of my Japanese collection....mostly chawan and other tea ceremony utensils.

I'll make seasonal changes, so it will never become boring.

Note: bottom shelf is still empty...there will come my "pièce de résistance"...an iron furo and chagame (brazier and tea kettle).

It's on it's way, but because of the weight...surface mail....can take months. :laughing:

Thanks for watching,

Robin

• Like 7

Thanks guys!

@Steven....indeed, it's a fiercely contested, but well established beachhead.  :)

@Stephen...here you are...

post-4355-0-39325300-1532360808_thumb.jpg

And the other two shelves...

post-4355-0-76571500-1532360815_thumb.jpg

post-4355-0-17215400-1532360825_thumb.jpg

Robin

• Like 1

Robin thank you for that -S- is right all nice tsuba.

Good news Bad news

Good ive found the sho to your copper dai.

Bad is i cant find the org owner as its being sold by the crooks on ebay seller Japaneseswordgallery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsuba-Japanese-samurai-sword-Katana-guard-plum-tree-design-openwork-Antique/263832653642?hash=item3d6da6cf4a%3Ag%3AF5IAAOSw10hasxDs&_sacat=0&_nkw=copper+tsuba&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcopper+tsuba.TRS1&LH_TitleDesc=0

s-l500.jpg

i used to be able to do a image serch and find where they lifted the photos, not much any more as links they go back to ebay.

Maybe another member with a better system.

Good luck on finding org seller as it will be way less. 

• Like 2

Nice!

but..$800???   :o Not in 800 years!  :laughing:

I think I payed about 50 for the one I have. No idea whether it's worth more (it doesn't look that special in my untrained eyes), but 800....no way!

The ones I have now are all rather basic...start low and climb after learning more, but I doubt I'll ever pay that amount for a tsuba.

I still have a nihonto wish and only limited pocket money...must save...and saving isn't my strong side.  :bang:

Robin

The ebay seller finds photos then puts them on ebay at double or more price, i cant find orignal seller of one i showed you.

example 

this is tsuba on Yushindou 

http://yushindou.com/tuba-03-561/

crooks on ebay selling at this price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsuba-Japanese-Samurai-sword-Katana-Koshirae-guard-unfigured-pattern-Antique/263826495844?hash=item3d6d48d964:g:dukAAOSwiDFYMonj

so what i was trying to say the matching cherry blossom tsuba is out there...who real seller is i cant find.

but if you only paid $ 50   id be glad to give you $100    ;)

• Like 1

Looks good.  :thumbsup:

Small conner, but, big, in that...

stirs interest as the eyes focus on each item, and, it's layout/position  to each other.

"Usage of Space"..  ( A Rimpa School trait  you have  :) )

Smart use of those clear acrylic lifters.

minimize loss of light to the objects below..

The box lids used for display base is cool too.

The Charie on the lid is "Traditionaly correct", as, I've heard/watched somewhere, they are "respected" or "Important' as to,

always be displayed on a  tray.

And, yes, the brazier and tea kettle at the bottom would complete the realm of the display.  :thumbsup:

Both aesthetacally and balance.

Good things do come in small packages.

Alton  :)

• Like 2

Thanks Alton  :)

You're right about the chaire...it's the highest ranking tea ceremony utensil.

Not often used anymore, since it's mostly used during the elaborate thick tea (koicha) ceremony.

Often in combination with a tenmoko chawan on a tenmoko dai (see top shelf).

Nowadays the natsume is more common...and also the highest ranking utensil during the ceremony.

The lowest ranking utensil is the kensui (waste water bowl)...placed on the left side of the host...far away from the guests. Out of sight.

The chaire or natsume is placed on the right side....closest to the guests. To be admired.

Robin

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Note: bottom shelf is still empty...there will come my "pièce de résistance"...an iron furo and chagame (brazier and tea kettle).

It's on it's way, but because of the weight...surface mail....can take months.  :laughing:

Well ok, surface mail takes ages, but I saved well over 100 euros with it.

Furo and chagama arrived.  :)

post-4355-0-42370900-1536229022_thumb.jpg post-4355-0-76743700-1536229029_thumb.jpg

Until I find the time, peace and right mindset to practise chado, it found it's place in my little museum.

post-4355-0-25914000-1536229040_thumb.jpg

I'm very happy with it. It's old and used, but in very good condition. Hardly any rust (it's sticking from grease like hell).

Just normal wear from usage. I only cleaned the green oribe glaze on the tile. It was dull from grime.

I prefer this crude and simple sand cast iron furo and chagama above the more fancy bronze ones.

thanks for watching,

Robin

• Like 2

Robin,

Looks like it's been there forever, as it should, love the form and texture.  In the tradition of Sen no Rikyū it is now time to build a teahouse, and I don't mean a model....LOL!

Cheers,

-S-

p.s.-denatured alcohol,  or if it's really stubborn benzene, will remove the "sticky" and do no harm.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..