Attention Mantetsu Owners: A Survey

4 hours ago, Kotetsu1959 said:

Here is an early “B” series Mantetsu. The sword also bears the stamp, and is in Kyu-gunto mounts. 

Ray,

That's not just an early B - it's the first B we have ever seen/recorded!!!  Please post full nakago shots of both sides, I need the date.

Oh, and a photo of the overall fittings, too, please!  Is it per chance a Navy kyu?

image.png.4ffa7507557a40da1968f0fe1bdf1394.png

The seppa have no markings. The only other markings I see on the sword may be a surrender inventory number on the guard, possibly “54.” The yasurime and precise shape of the sword are impressive to me. The fittings also show fine hand tooling.
    Although it was not cheap, I am very pleased with the sword. It is the only naval mounted Mantetsu I have seen. John Plimpton offered to sell me one of the Mantetsu gift tachi at the SF show back in the day. I am sad to say I failed to realize it was a bargain at $3,200. 

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kotetsu1959 said:

The seppa have no markings. The only other markings I see on the sword may be a surrender inventory number on the guard, possibly “54.” The yasurime and precise shape of the sword are impressive to me. The fittings also show fine hand tooling.
    Although it was not cheap, I am very pleased with the sword. It is the only naval mounted Mantetsu I have seen. John Plimpton offered to sell me one of the Mantetsu gift tachi at the SF show back in the day. I am sad to say I failed to realize it was a bargain at $3,200. 

IMG_0381.jpeg

IMG_0408.jpeg

Sounds like you might have some real grails in your collection! Including this mantetsu. Really beautiful. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...