Attention Mantetsu Owners: A Survey

18 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Tony!  I have some shots of that blade from 2019, but your pics are much better.  Hey, is that a black saya?  Not very often we see a Mantetsu in a black saya.

Yes black saya with a fair bit of paint loss suguha hamon.

I'll take some photos later of it all. It passed hands quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

Trystan, these Mantetsu swords appear to be identical.  It was initially reported as a 29th series ヤ八七八; but, the pictures posted later on show a 28th series, ク八七八.  Can you confirm that the origin is one and the same for both posts?

Attention Mantetsu Owners: A Survey, 2019-10-26

Attention Mantetsu Owners: A Survey, 2021-02-17

On 1/29/2022 at 8:50 PM, BANGBANGSAN said:

Here is an unusual one that has a wavy hamon.  昭和甲申春 興亞一心 滿鐵作 strangely with NO serial number on nakago, says in shirasaya, but no photo of the mount.

Looks similar to your (イ)一六四四 including the markings.  Have you tried comparing the two?

@Bruce Pennington @Kiipu

Found something interesting. This 1941 昭和辛巳春 the 13th series ワ375, has Suya tsuba numbered H 一六二 マ. And the other 1941 昭和辛巳春 the 14th series カ353, it also has Suya tsuba numbered H 二二二 マ, only 60 numbers apart. Maybe they used the same batch parts from Suya. What do you guys think?

WechatIMG3613.jpeg

WechatIMG3145.jpeg.89ce35b64c4e9fa6183db33e34527121.jpeg

WechatIMG3146.jpeg.4b89707968446d9eff8a16002cfdeea3.jpeg

WechatIMG3144.jpeg.0de669befebcf3a1f6f7523baee91a92.jpeg

WechatIMG3615.jpeg

WechatIMG3614.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!!!

Peter, that is a first.  Now, the hi could have been a customization after manufacture.  He could have had a sword shop add it.  This also could have been added recently when the polish was done.  Or, as with the few custom SMR Mantetsu we've seen, it was a customer request from the factory.  No way to know, but it does look good, doesn't it!!!

Hey, any chance of getting a link to the original post.  That serial number is quite faint.  Clearly a "NA" but the number is too faint to read.  Sometimes by going to the original site, it's just a hair more clear.  If it's an auction that you'd like to keep quiet about, please just send it to me via PM.

@Itomagoi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

OMG!!!

Peter, that is a first.  Now, the hi could have been a customization after manufacture.  He could have had a sword shop add it.  This also could have been added recently when the polish was done.  Or, as with the few custom SMR Mantetsu we've seen, it was a customer request from the factory.  No way to know, but it does look good, doesn't it!!!

Hey, any chance of getting a link to the original post.  That serial number is quite faint.  Clearly a "NA" but the number is too faint to read.  Sometimes by going to the original site, it's just a hair more clear.  If it's an auction that you'd like to keep quiet about, please just send it to me via PM.

@Itomagoi

Bruce

This one is rewelded the cut off Mantetsu tang with another blade like the one I post a few days ago,but better work.

WechatIMG14431.jpeg

6 hours ago, Itomagoi said:

Sry, but I do not think that this sword has been welded together. This "cross line" is normal for a Koa Isshin Mantetsu. For example here:

Koa Isshin.jpg

Peter

You're right, some Mantetsu does have the cross line on the tang. I also agree anything is possible, but this one with Bohi is in doubt with more than a few people not only me. Not saying we're 100% correct though.

From a welder's point of view, however, it makes no sense in this case. Cut the tang above the cross line, then weld it perfectly to another blade, grinding, perhaps then etch with acid, then cut a bohi and polish the blade. I can't imagine that. But I am not an expert.

32 minutes ago, Itomagoi said:

From a welder's point of view, however, it makes no sense in this case. Cut the tang above the cross line, then weld it perfectly to another blade, grinding, perhaps then etch with acid, then cut a bohi and polish the blade. I can't imagine that. But I am not an expert.

I know, it's hard to judge. It seems the bohi can be added after the blade is done. Let's leave the welded thing out. Is the bohi custom order form Mantstsu or some smith add it later? Pobroly we will never know. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

This one is put-together by welding the original cut-off Mantetsu tang to a modern blade.

Trystan,

I think it might be equally possible, in this example, that what we are seeing is a repair to a damaged nakago.

For the diagonal mark on the original blade of the thread, everyone has pretty well covered the point - the massive majority of Mantetsu mune have this mark.  I don't even have to do a scan of my files to say that.  So, like Trystan's conclusion, probably original SMR Mantetsu, but when and where the bohi was added cannot be known.  The polish removed any chance of old patina in the groove, but even if it had been there, we still wouldn't know if the factory did it, or a post-production shop did it for a customer.

Enjoyable discussion guys, thanks for tossing it around!