Mei Opinions If Authentic And What It Saids

The crest on this sword is more commonly referred to by its Japanese name 'aoi mon'. This particular nakago is signed 'Yasutsugu Echizen' (康継越前). There may be another kanji in the middle, but that's the best I can do with the image provided.
This site offers a good source of information on this school: http://www.sho-shin.com/edo-shimosaka.html

The mei looks to me like it was done by Yasutsugu Third generation Echizen. I say this as I was once the owner of a Yasutsugu Echizen Third Gen. blade.

When the the Second generation Edo died his son became Edo Third generation....but Edo 2nd gen's brother thought he should be the Edo Third Gen so he insisted on calling himself Yasutsugu Echizen Third Gen. I think this is is what you have.

The most important part of the mei to check in books is the TSUGU kanj. The Echizen Third Gen. used the "ko" kanji in the bottom left corner (instead of just 3 "dashes") and the curve of the "L' shaped line in the centre of the kanji is beautifully curved and graceful. You will need to check yours against the mei of Echizen Fifth Gen. also as he used a very similar style TSUGU kanji.

On the attached pic check the bottom right photo and the left column top two and fourth mei kanji (5 gen Echizen). Your pic is not great so I can't be 100% sure, but I think yours is one of these. Either 3rd or 5th Echizen.

I think you have found a potentially good sword...do some homework and let us know what you find out.

This attached page is from IIMURA  "TOKEN YORAN" 1974 p.224

Regards,

post-470-0-45722300-1532181235_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I love the Yasutsugu mon, and they are instantly recognizable.  My understanding is that they used it with select permission from the Tokugawa family for whom the Yasutsugu lineage produced many swords for many generations.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..