Gunto restoration

John A Stuart

I am just about to start restoration on a Gunto and have found a pristine Tsuka that has never been on a sword. My question is, to drill the Mekugiana, do you just measure where it should be by measuring with the fittings and correlate this to the Nakago or is there some trick I should know? I don't want to bugger it up since the Tsuka is virgin. John

John,

To be honest, I have no idea how one would improvise the ana after it is complete. Usually they would be drilled before the tsuka is completed.

To be safe, I would ask in the Bugei sword crafts forum where Keith Larman should be able to help you out. They know their stuff there.

Tell him to pop in occasionally here :D

http://www.swordforumbugei.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2

Brian

Thanks guys, I have a call in to Keith. It kind of only makes sense but we'll see. Mike, it is the tsuka that is to be drilled. Normally a tsuka would be made to the sword but I think that these may have been prepared as replacements in the field or at garrison where they could be installed by non-skilled armourers (meaning the finer points of gunto,like tsukamaki etc.) and just had to be drilled. Sound right? John

You need to measure from the fuchi back on the tsuka, the distance from where it begins on the nakago with all seppa and tsuba in place to the front of the ana. If you get it wrong and it is to the front of the hole the whole works will move back with a good pull. You better have some same the same color and size available and some wood dough if you get it wrong. Larger size mekugi ana can make up for some errors. I drill with the tsuka in place and go through one side of the tsuka and then take a look to see where you are using a smaller drill.

good luck

Bill Delagrange

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..