Some Help Please

Hi Jeff.

Hard to see from the photos but what we can see is that it is o suriage, shoirtened from the tang, with the possibility of being originally several centimetres longer than it is now.  If you look at the kissaki, Tip, you can see that the hi, groove, runs almost into the plane of the kissaki.  This suggests that the kissaki has also been polished down and would have been larger than it is now.  to summarise the shape of the sword now is not what it was when first made.  You can find a Chikakage here, http://www.nihonto.com/bizen-chikakage/    The first thing to look at when examining a sword is the sugata, the shape.  I'm sure you already have some books but as you are in London the first thing to do is join the Token Society of Great Britain and take this along to one of their meetings, lots of experienced collectors who can look at the sword in hand and help you out.

Someone has labled all the jpegs as Chikakage so what were you told and does it have papers?

Enjoy.

All the best.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for having me on board.

This blade has come from one of the Kashima sister's yes,

Sumie chan has mentioned its poss  Chikakage but we will have a better idea once returned from polish.

I just thought I'd ask you guys as you have a lot of experience.

The blade it without papers but Andy q mentioned I should have it submitted once polished.

Thanks again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..