Phase Composition Mapping Of A 17Th Century Japanese Helmet

javier

Hi!

Following the previous discussions about the protective capabilities of the different Kabuto types I found this interesting article from the Royal Society of Chemistry.

The article describes the results of a non invasive study of the metallurgical properties and phase composition performed on a hari bachi Haruta kabuto signed by "Haruta Yoshihisa Saku". This kabuto was formerly part of the H Rusell Robinson Collection.

Javier

kabuto composition.pdf

• Like 7

Francesco Grazzi gave a lecture about this examination method on kabuto an swords during ou Japanese Legacy Symposium in Firenze 2014 and 2016. The result were fascinating, both for swords and kabuto. Very interesting article, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Javier,  Many thanks for posting that. What it shows is that the Japanese were seriously searching for a means of protecting against bullets, not only in the materials they used, but also in the type of helmet. Zunari kabuto like this are often considered as cheap helmets, but even Tokugawa Ieyasu had two armours, now in Shizuoka fitted with them. The large plates and fewer number of joints between the plates were important factors.

Ian Bottomley, 

• Like 5

Javier,

What a good find Javier.  Thank you very much for posting the article.  I also have a Haruta Zunari kabuto and I'm fascinated to see that the kabuto in the PDF article has the koshimaki laced through the front plate.  So also does my kabuto.  Mine is signed HARUTA YOSHIHISA SAKU.  I intend to put it up as a separate thread when I have time, but as a small contribution to this thread I've attached one photo showing the front plate and the attachment method as well as a copy from the PDF article helmet.

Best regards,

BaZZa.

post-671-0-98040200-1531219096_thumb.jpg

post-671-0-91230700-1531219154_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..