Interesting Argentinian Books About Nihonto And Tsuba From 1960.

Hi

Last week looking for some some books in an old book store in Buenos Aires y came across with an argentinian pocket book called "El Sable Japonés" in english "The Japanese saber" in spanish language.

This book was printed and published in 1960 in Buenos Aires and the author was Dr. Ernesto Herzfeld.

According to the text at that date (1960) Dr. Ernesto Herzfeld was already collecting and studing Japanese swords for more than 40 years and also mentions that this book is a brief of another book by the same author titled “Las Armas del Japón Feudal”, “The Weapons from Feudal Japan”.  

That was a big surprise for me since I didn´t knew that there were local nihonto collectors and scholars in Argentina since 1920 and that they were authors of books in local language.

My biggest surprise was when I learned from the book pictures about Dr. Herzfeld´s interesting collection:

Among others 

-Soshu Hiromitsu (1350) – tanto.

-Akihiro (1299) - tanto

-Hizen Kanehiro (1661) -tanto

-Bizen Yukimitzu (1394)- tanto

-Daisho with “Buke Tzukuri” mountings – Nagamobu from Musachi.

-Sukemure from Suruga (1673) –

-Myoju – hamisashi with Goto Ichijo fittings.

-Daisho, the wakizashi from Bizen Masatsune (XVII century) and the Katana from Mino Kanemoto (1544) both with Goto Ichijo fittings.

-Etchizen Kunitsugo – Tachi.

-Efu Tachi

-Uda Kunimune- Genuki no Tachi.

I wonder if any of the members of the forum had the chance to meet Dr. Ernesto Herzfeld from Argentina.

Due to this book I was also able to find another pocket book from argentina also in Spanish language called "Tsuba las guardas del sable japonés" in english “Tsuba the guards of the Japanese saber” that was written by Jean Roger Riviere also in 1960, printed and published in Buenos Aires in 1961,  this book includes pictures of tsubas from Dr. Hertzfeld´s  collection and to Mr. Ignacio Kaufmann´s collection.

It seems that there was an active group of collectors in those days in Buenos Aires.

I will appreciate if someone from the forum has any additional information to share about these senior collectors and authors from Argentina.

Javier.

1.pdf

2.pdf

3.pdf

4.pdf

5.pdf

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..