Tanegashima Translation Of Characters

Roy,

Dunno how to "take" your post.  No one is at all offended by anything you have said or done.  We have robust types here and all I see is some humorous banter at each other and certainly not at your good self.  Do please bring your passion back up to full throttle.  I have three teppo and just sparkled at your contribution.  Please re-enter at length (no puns please...)

BaZZa.

Dust gust ing its a joke son i say a joke...jerk

Grumpy old codger. Seems you too fail to see the humor in mine. Now you know how he felt, most just assumed you made a typo. As you say to other on this site, contribute to the conversation or education, or move on.

Roy, keep at it. Don’t focus on the nay sayers. Piers and others are willing to help.

Roy sorry i came off harsh, actually all that white powder all over the place sparked a trigger of past abuse, im sure you and other could care less about those days as it should be.

Looking forward to seeing more of your great find.

JG hope we get a face to face someday.

• Like 1

Hi Roy.,

Please do not be concerned, the crew here that you have met thus far are decent, handsome and witty (They have all told me that they are, so it must be true).

You only truly learn by having the courage to fail.

So 頑張ってください Ganbatte Kudasai!! KEEP AT IT!!!!

:beer:  :beer:  :beer:

PS most here have skins thicker than choice Alligator.

• Like 1

We all start somewhere, usually on a very low budget at huge seeming risk.

My first Japanese matchlock long gun still has a special place in my heart, Roy, even though it was hard to get anyone else enthusiastic about it. There is plenty to learn about each and every one, especially if it is largely untouched. Gradually it will open our eyes to the great variety out there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The double question will remain whether there is another character which has been erased below, (Is it a six-character Mei in total or five-character Mei?), and what is the character after Fuji, if there was one? Only the owner can answer these I think, or the first question anyway. I think I can make out the shape of 里, or 理, which gives a key in the search. The former is part of 重, which is often used, whereas 理 was never part of a gunsmith's name in Kunitomo as far as I can see.

There were about 150 Kunitomo gunsmiths, and by a slow process of elimination, 国友藤原重当 might fit in there for example, or 国友藤岡重仍. Many smiths read the 藤 character as 'Tou', (as in Totaro, for example) but in these two 藤 will be read 'Fuji-', ie 1. Kunitomo Fujiwara Shigetou/Jutou and 2. Kunitomo Fujioka Jujo/Shigenao.

• Like 1

Thank you Piers

I have looked at it under a strong magnifying glass and find I am unable to read the last two characters so you have done far better than I.

It is such a pity but I guess we will never truly know any more than you have so patiently discovered my thanks again for all your research on my behalf.

Roy

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..