What's This Mark Called?

general_piffle

Learned friends, I was cleaning a katana today and noticed this slight mark. It's really very superficial but I wondered what it is and if it has a name? The sword is papered and approved by the NBTHK so I have no worries as to its quality. I'm simply curious and wish to learn as much as I can. Thank you.

post-3405-0-85968500-1530631027_thumb.jpg

Nothing at all to worry about, Joel. But that sure looks like a simple scratch to me. Ware are usually horizontal, or at least in line with the hada, & your mark looks like the blade was dropped, or the reverse.

But if "ware" is defined as "any defect," then, yup, you have a ware.

• Like 1

Nothing at all to worry about, Joel. But that sure looks like a simple scratch to me. Ware are usually horizontal, or at least in line with the hada, & your mark looks like the blade was dropped, or the reverse.

But if "ware" is defined as "any defect," then, yup, you have a ware.

Cool. Thanks Ken. In this case perhaps I can consider it 'character' or the embodiment of wabi-sabi (侘寂) :)

Thanks guys, my main concern was that it 'might' be something to worry about and maybe send the sword for a polish to rectify but am happy to hear it's quite common, especially in swords with masame hada. 

I've learnt a bit more and my Yasukuni katana is all good. That's a double result.

Joel, a polish won't fix a opening like this nor should it be considered just to resolve a cosmetic scratch. This kind of thinking will reduce any sword to a mere toothpick in less than a couple hundred years. In order to truly respect and appreciate your sword and future acquisitions- Please consider this. Support longevity! Enjoy :)

• Thanks 1

Joel, a polish won't fix a opening like this nor should it be considered just to resolve a cosmetic scratch. This kind of thinking will reduce any sword to a mere toothpick in less than a couple hundred years. In order to truly respect and appreciate your sword and future acquisitions- Please consider this. Support longevity! Enjoy :)

Josh, completely appreciate what you're saying. Now I know what the mark is (and that it's harmless) I see it more as part of the sword's character. It's in fine old polish and will be staying that way. It's a wonderful Musashi Taro Yasukuni katana and I feel honoured to be its custodian in my lifetime :)

JR

A polish wont fix it but it can be basically closed.

https://nihontoantiques.com/kizu-flaw-repair-post-sword/

That's interesting Stephen. Thanks for sharing. Although I've decided I don't really mind the kitae ware, as long as the sword is not at risk. Out of interest for future reference, what sort of reputation does Moses Becerra have as a polisher? Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..