katana identification

shaun

hello, I was given this sword and I wish to know if anyone can tell me some history about it ie:- maker, era, type of hada and hamon.

I have tried to find out via the web but I am finding it difficult because it has no signature(mei) :?:

I have photos on my web site that you can view and feel free to ask for any additional infomation

http://www.shadon7.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/my%20sword

Regards Shaun

This is a mumei (no signature) blade.

The active hamon and the condition of the rust on the mei would make me lean toward a early shinto era blade. Also because the blade has a deep curvature but is a little broad, I probably would not classify it as late koto. I did notice that in pictures "Sword 065" and "Sword "064" there appears to be some unfortunately places corrosion pitting, which could result in hagiri.

But a very nice gift, nonetheless.

DavidF.

thanks David for your comments, I will research swordsmiths that don't sign their blades to see what I can find, if you know of any please let me know.

I don't think the rust can be used to govern a time frame as I received it with no tsuka so I would say its been handled a lot by the bare tang.

As for the rust pitting I hope it can be polished out.

Do you know if delamination splits can be fixed?

thanks again.

SHAUN

Hi Shaun,

This is my shot at your blade:

Shinogi zukuri, torii-zori with deep sori, more tend to be masame-hada, nioi-deki, choji-gunome hamon, with many ashi and yo activities, bo-hi is engraved, mumei and four mekugi ana. I would trace it to Bizen Osafune uchi-gatana from Muromachi period.

This one must seen lots of action. It's pretty much beaten up. May well deserve a nice polishing. Sorry if I am wrong. I am at work and without a book. More important, I am a newbie !

Ichi

Hi Ichi, thanks for the information and if knowing all that without having a book makes you a newbie, then I have a very long way to go.

I have only had this my first and only sword for about 1 month. I got it from my grandfather and he's had it for over 60 years and I doubt he ever looked after it at all.

I have no idea where he got the sword from or even when

If you would like to, could you check through your book and see what it says I would be very grateful for that and I'll do some research on what you told me.

Thanks Shaun

Quality. From understanding, if a blade has some of the qualities but not entirely, they will go with the lesser school or those characteristics may in fact matchup to bungo which copied from Bizen but because of steel, skill, school secrets, etc didn't get it right.

Attributing blades of lesser quality is extremely hard if not impossible. Swords may be attributed to a school but it must display characteristics of the smith to obviously be attributed to a smith. Lesser blades don't have the activities, steel qualities, shapes, etc to do this.

Given that your sword has some characteristics at least there is something to enjoy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..