Japanese Kabuto With Silver And Metal Inlay

jack

Hello

i have this Japanese helpmet with silver inlay design of a dragon in it, it looks early and i know it was bought in a major auction house in the 70s', i wanted to knwo if someone can help me to understand what is the period and what is the specific type of this helmet .

thank you all very much 

post-4567-0-74984400-1529832644_thumb.jpg

post-4567-0-06386200-1529832650_thumb.jpg

post-4567-0-05958900-1529832652_thumb.jpg

post-4567-0-36512900-1529832657_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice Kabuto.

Look in museum collections, on the internet too. (Most private collections are private.)

Pinterest collects groups of similarly-themed objects.

Ask around more. Send a photo of yours to the MET etc. In my experience you will spot one just when you are least expecting it. Keep looking and learning.

Run some key word searches in English and Japanese, for example 銀象嵌 鉄錆地筋兜 Japanese silver inlay russet suji kabuto ...

Jack, there is one in the Barbier Mueller collection, signed Unkai Mitsuhisa. The Berlin museum also has one, unsigned. And I saw some in Japan as well.

Piers, I think we can call this style Kaga zogan no kabuto?

And yes, absolute rule n° 1 when collecting and learning: use your eyes.

Jack,  Your helmet is a bit of a hybrid between a regular 8 plate helmet and a pointed or toppai kabuto. The concave peak suggests Haruta work and could well have been made in Kaga who employed only Haruta and independent armourers until 1800. The date could well be late 17th or 18th century it is difficult to determine without a signature. I rather like the mail cape which appears to fasten across the face rather than a regular shikoro. Altogether a very nice helmet - well done.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..