Hello Eric, I will be at the show helping a friend of mine with his tables. Today was pretty light on the public but lots of Great stuff to look at. There is a good mix and something for everyone. Saturday is usually a pretty busy day with lots of activity. Come on in and enjoy the show

• Like 1

Hope some of you caught the 2pm presentation. We had a Juyo Soshu Norishige, Ko-Aoe kodachi (Tokubetsu Hozon/Tanobe-sensei sayagaki) and an 81cm ubu early Kamakura tachi (which is going soon for NBTHK shinsa). Great lecture given by Mike Yamasaki and some beautiful tosogu.

• Like 3

My thanks to the following people: Bob Elder, for putting this together; Mike Yamasaki, for speaking and offering his experience, wisdom, and nice tosogu for examination; a gentleman who I am not sure if it would be okay to be named, for being generous in bringing very fine blades for us to study during the lecture. The Norishige, was beautiful and is my favorite smith, quite the experience, best of luck during shinsa.

When I first arrived the tameshigiri exhibition was just getting setup. This lead to most people not being in the show room. Which was nice to be able to move freely about, but left some tables empty. After walking about for a little bit the show started. I tried to watch, but this was limited in space, so I returned to the show room. At this point I had yet to speak to anyone... as it is a little intimidating for a beginner. As I became more comfortable I started asking questions and was pleased to be meet with generous responses; along with a few stories and tips. If one table did not have what I was looking for I was directed to a table where I might find the item. After about an hour or so of walking the show room the lecture began. A good lecture in a open forum that was adaptable to all knowledge levels. A good topic covered that I think should be available at all shows is about shinsa and papers, understating the differences and ways to verify if they are real. Another interesting topic covered was polishes. After the lecture and a long lunch, I returned to the show room to find all tables open and more people than before. The later I stayed the more people appeared to be attending. There was a good mix of old, young, those in between, quite a diverse group. Just as diverse as the crowd were the items offered swords, art, clothing, tosogu, millitary items WW2 AND WW1, sword accessories like bags  etc.. 

A good show and a good experience, frielndly people, was never told no I could not examine an item (always asked politely), lecture was full of topics I learned from, and a wide variety of items. 

Not the greatest photographer, but here are the few shots that were captured.

post-4353-0-67177500-1529847233_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-93130500-1529847255_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-88763900-1529847270_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-25473300-1529847356_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-47573800-1529847403_thumb.jpg

post-4353-0-84041000-1529847417_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am still at the hotel waiting for a early departure and a 15 hour ride home. The show was great and the people even better. Thank you to all the people there that treated me like a old friend and helped me with any of my questions. Thank you Ray for helping me with questions that I had with a purchase that I was considering. Thank you everyone for all of the GREAT seminars that were provided. This was my second year at this show with my friend Jim Colorado and I would recommend it to everyone no matter what stage of collecting you are at. Most of all a big thank you to Bob Elder for putting on such a First Class Show and always making me feel like a old friend.

Ps thank you Mark and Mike for allowing me to make a last minute purchase that I am very proud to own

THANK YOU BOB

MikeR

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..